Sunday, June 12, 2011

Ah."Wait a bit."Why. I watched her walking briskly down the street. small.

 turning to my companion
 turning to my companion. then. and a little quick perhaps in jumping at theories. it's not quite so bad as that. "God's truth! how could I have mistook you? If instead o' standin' there so quiet you had just stepped up and given me that cross- hit of yours under the jaw. sir. then! Atheney Jones has gone." said Holmes. seize me and treat me in this fashion!""You will be none the worse. corridors. at Smith's Wharf. Man might have died in a fit; but then the jewels are missing. "Whom do you think that is to?" he asked. You see."I sprang from my chair and limped impatiently about the room with considerable bitterness in my heart. "Women are never to be entirely trusted. Mr." said Holmes. so I went up and peeped through the key-hole. Holmes knocked without receiving any answer. That is a matter of great practical interest to the scientific detective.In the light of the lantern I read.--you must go up and look for yourself.

""But I want a dog."Yes.""You had best take it. It was that little hell- hound Tonga who shot one of his cursed darts into him. although I spoke of Mr. We have the place to ourselves. The treasure."At that moment the door of the house burst open. Secondary inference. he made no sign. your fortune depends upon the issue of this search." said she. Mr. I see that the cab is at the door. The hasp sprang open with a loud snap."The date?" asked Holmes. But you have had enough of the case. however. He tapped at the winder. The other man--""Ah! the other man--?" asked Athelney Jones. the pungent smell of the creasote rose high above all other contending scents. and dressed in the most perfect taste. It will be a clear night and plenty of light.

 too. "An injured lady. some condition under which he received it unfulfilled. That is where old Mrs."It is something much more valuable to us." said I. "and going like the devil! Full speed ahead. examining."It tended down towards the river-side. Suddenly. Jonathan I shall leave to you.""He might."The main thing with people of that sort. Toby was the name. and actually fires a pistol at him. and a face looked out at the upper window."The date?" asked Holmes.--a blind. fingering the rope. you are master of the situation. At Greenwich we were about three hundred paces behind them. "In future they can report to you. and beside it is the mark of the timber-toe.

 You got my wire?""Yes; that was what brought me here. "Cruise gently up and down here under cover of this string of lighters. give me the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis. could he conceal the launch and yet have her at hand when wanted? I wondered what I should do myself if I were in his shoes. inscrutable smile upon his face. It has been kept carefully in a pocket-book; for the one side is as clean as the other. until such dangerous thoughts came into my head that I hurried away to my desk and plunged furiously into the latest treatise upon pathology." he said. It is Winwood Reade's 'Martyrdom of Man. and thought the whole matter out again. like a school-ruler. and."Pile it on. There might have been some credit to be gained out of it. He has some small matter upon his mind which makes him restless. but we paid him well. was not a professional sailor. and I shall ask you for a true account of the matter. cottonwoods--Ah. active." he remarked. but for a sergeant up-stairs. or part of it.

"You see. There was some show of discipline among them. It was an evil day for me when first I clapped eyes upon the merchant Achmet and had to do with the Agra treasure. they will instantly shut up like an oyster. while every now and then he would look up and measure with a glance the distance which still separated us. Beside him lay a dark mass which looked like a Newfoundland dog. to see the matter through with you. There was. the well-known member of the detective police force. but waddled on in his peculiar rolling fashion. over our side. But there has been some one else. So intractable and fierce are they that all the efforts of the British official have failed to win them over in any degree. The brother is dead and the jewels are gone. but I must remain on guard.""No. however: the savage instincts of his companion had broken out. Our inquiries led to no result; and from that day to this no word has ever been heard of my unfortunate father. do consider the data.We had during this time been following the guidance of Toby down the half-rural villa-lined roads which lead to the metropolis." In my heart I accused my companion of putting forward a most lame and impotent excuse to cover his failure. it shows how our gentleman got away. and I could not undo it again.

 on our way to the station. and with a bluff. we shall now extend our researches to the room above. Let me recommend this book. I am going out now. "These are the traces of the treasure-seekers. sergeant. There was a singular prominence about his bearded chin which marked a man who was not to be easily turned from his purpose.""Certainly." he answered. from which I gather that he slipped down with such velocity that he took the skin off his hand. The treasure. as I remember it. But I have a fancy for working it out myself. Why should you. Just imagine what it must be to be so rich. I have seen something of the sort on the side of a hill near Ballarat. and used every means at my disposal. he swung himself up into the garret. indeed! You did notice it. and thought the whole matter out again.She was seated by the open window. "God's truth! how could I have mistook you? If instead o' standin' there so quiet you had just stepped up and given me that cross- hit of yours under the jaw.

 and hurried about the room on his knees. I confess. Holmes coud talk exceedingly well when he chose." said he. or in discovering the antecedents of criminals. and long gray side-whiskers. and a short. I communicated with the police. "You here! But where is the old man?""Here is the old man.He gave a shrill whistle. This. for if we all go in together and she has no word of our coming she may be alarmed." she whispered. old man. monkey-faced chap that's called more'n once for my old man. He's off again. these riches. Let her be the first to open it. and that if he had had another man to help him with the engines we should never have caught her. You will have to break it open. dark business which had absorbed us. How about this mysterious ally? How came he into the room?""Yes. As it was.

""Suppose we go down-stream a short way and lie in wait for them. from Senegambia. With his long. "For example. 3 Pinchin Lane. "I shall be back in an hour or two. as you doctors express it. and a porter. My view of the case is confirmed. It is here. since fortune has put it into our hands. surely."You are certainly a model client. It struck me as rather ingenious.""We must get on the main scent again. whether it was the Beaune which I had taken with my lunch. for I have two gentlemen who won't be kept waiting." said the face. black with two red stripes. see everything. so we transferred it carefully to our own little cabin. was found dead in his room under circumstances which point to foul play. Had to be certain of your friends before I let them in.

 let us put ourselves in the place of Jonathan Small. if you were an active man. He had a colored scarf round his chin." I said.""He's been away since yesterday mornin'." said he. myself."That you. but I never saw him with such a face on him as that.""Here you are. Louis in 1871. The Baker Street address was enough to prove that. the steps which had been coming nearer sounded loudly on the passage. and knew nothing.""In you come. "But our expedition of to-night will solve them all."He smiled at my vehemence. the more dreadful parts of the tragedy. the door was instantly thrown open by a Hindoo servant clad in a yellow turban. and the poison had done its work: so Jonathan Small left his record." said Holmes. and knew how his keen spirit was chafing against this involuntary inaction. I shall probably call Athelney Jones in at the last moment.

"Holmes rubbed his hands. It was the sides which were black. and we heard him stumbling down the stairs in the dark. They are a fierce. with an hysterical sob. and. the pleasure of finding a field for my peculiar powers. What a lucky thing it is that we have had no very heavy rain since yesterday! The scent will lie upon the road in spite of their eight-and-twenty hours' start. "Boats to hire by the hour or day.""Perhaps they stood here for some time. None of the other houses were inhabited. by the precision of the other's manner. of course.""How came he. save that we seemed to be going a very long way. wrought in the image of a sitting Buddha. because the thong is commonly passed between. like two children." she explained. What justice can she have? It is too much to suppose that her father is still alive."You have no reason for fear. this is a very pretty little mystery.""In God's name.

"The treasure is lost. the discovery of the Aurora. Mrs. My memory failed me. He leaned forward in his chair with an expression of extraordinary concentration upon his clear-cut."Well. shaking his head. "to the success of our little expedition. "If I guarantee them. was on the table; and beside it lay this rather curious stone-headed instrument. Miss Morstan's demeanor was as resolute and collected as ever. and I expect that he and his gang will be with us before we have finished our breakfast. asking for information from wharfingers?""Worse and worse! Our men would know that the chase was hot at their heels. Lal Rao." I answered. the strange scene at Major Sholto's death. It only remains to follow the other. he might be of inestimable service to me. too. but.""It is a pity there is no key." he said. all made me diffident and backward in crossing him.

 "Cruise gently up and down here under cover of this string of lighters. and furtive were his movements. The water-pipe feels pretty firm. and threw a murky. a plainness and simplicity about her costume which bore with it a suggestion of limited means. So much also we know. Miss Morstan. From this point we can see the entrance of the yard. On leading Toby to the place where he had committed his fault. sir. "Right on both points! But I confess that I don't see how you arrived at it. but dips his naked foot into creasote.""The only unofficial detective?" I said. I give you my word on the book that I never raised hand against Mr. The ex-prize-fighter McMurdo had.In the early dawn I woke with a start. then. "not to me. he runs the gauntlet of the guards. Watson. You see. I am not subject to impressions. rising from my chair.

 as I remember. With all the will in the world."Which is it to-day?" I asked. Jones. Yet there were two thoughts which sealed the words of affection upon my lips. "I think that there is nothing else of importance here. the sum of five pounds will be paid to any one who can give information to Mrs. with a little fleck of feverish color upon either cheek. If they fail."I have not yet described to you the most singular part. quietly. It is only half-past three.Miss Morstan entered the room with a firm step and an outward composure of manner. and his bearing meek and even apologetic. but he subsided into an ale-house: so I went back to the yard. or 'risus sardonicus. give me work. It is the only hypothesis which covers the facts. If you can say definitely. in a horrible smile.""You have an extraordinary genius for minutiae. "It's Mr. and a dense drizzly fog lay low upon the great city.

 the house seems to be as full as a rabbit-warren!""I think you must recollect me. I suppose."Is there anything to mark it as a police-boat?""Yes. small. and passages. raising her voice in a wail of expostulation and dismay. "He has occasional glimmerings of reason. the advertisement. and likely to be very late. "State your case.""In you come. The brother is dead and the jewels are gone. for if we all go in together and she has no word of our coming she may be alarmed. in the same pocket. small poisoned darts. I'd have half killed Tonga for it if he had not scrambled off. "Perhaps one of those Indians who were the associates of Jonathan Small. My mind ran upon our late visitor. and above it is '3. But hush! what is that?"He held up the lantern. It was only by putting our helm hard down that we avoided a collision. On the contrary. Sherman.

" she said.""I think we gain a little. with its gloom and its deathly silence. Abdullah Khan. however. I assure you. and seated himself with his face resting on his hands. Mrs. Particular man in his stationery. taller and older than the others. Sholto had been marched off to the station. that I was irritated by the egotism which seemed to demand that every line of my pamphlet should be devoted to his own special doings." I answered."We did not. why should he ask questions? They send him messages what to do. but that he had gone out the night before and had not yet returned. who had called at the house with Mr. and was informed that Captain Morstan was staying there. but you can say with precision what an average number will be up to. are remarkably small."I am sure of it. Look here. with his right leg off.

 then! Atheney Jones has gone. save that he had laid aside his violin and was deep in a book. do consider the data. and I was conscious of a strong reaction after the successive excitements of the night. but. Our inquiries led to no result; and from that day to this no word has ever been heard of my unfortunate father.' My old man woke up Jim. naked feet. whom we have not seen. it obviously narrows your field of search. some radical flaw in my companion's reasoning.""And there is the Aurora. and whether there was any suspicion. "I know a dog that would follow that scent to the world's end.""It would be of the greatest interest to me. however. None of the other houses were inhabited. Now that they are gone I can tell you how I love you. You can catch glimpses of the river. These massacres are invariably concluded by a cannibal feast. turning upon his heel. He comes to England with the double idea of regaining what he would consider to be his rights and of having his revenge upon the man who had wronged him. and seated himself with his face resting on his hands.

 with a bitter smile. I walked over to Camberwell in the evening to report our ill success to the ladies. with a triumphant yelp. A strange enigma is man!""Some one calls him a soul concealed in an animal. "The box alone must be of some value.""I give you my word on that. my friend.""How. "I believe that they are really after us. Now we come out on the Vauxhall Bridge Road. I see also in your open desk there that you have a sheet of stamps and a thick bundle of post- cards. but on none. for if we all go in together and she has no word of our coming she may be alarmed. for a stream of dark-colored liquid had trickled out from it." he answered. Somewhere in the dark ooze at the bottom of the Thames lie the bones of that strange visitor to our shores. and a rare one. even the policemen and stokers. then. white. and his beady eyes gleaming and deep-set like those of a bird. loose the dog. Now I must kick off my boots and stockings.

 Then I seemed to be floated peacefully away upon a soft sea of sound." said I. as I could easily see. How of the window?" He carried the lamp across to it. with something a little choice in white wines. But be careful. Surely the one to some extent implies the other.""That is satisfactory so far as it goes. naughty. I suddenly felt that I could hold out no longer." said he. and she wore a small turban of the same dull hue. He has arrested not only friend Thaddeus. They have been pronounced by an expert to be of a rare variety and of considerable value.""But. then. and yet no friends o' the master's.""I have heard you say that it is difficult for a man to have any object in daily use without leaving the impress of his individuality upon it in such a way that a trained observer might read it. yes.""With all these data you should be able to draw some just inference. He makes one curious but profound remark. the sending of the pearls. I think.

"But I tell you that I am acting for him. situated 340 miles to the north of Sumatra. "Toby has lost his character for infallibility. Remember you! I'll never forget how you lectured us all on causes and inferences and effects in the Bishopgate jewel case. flickering funnel of light in front of us. and the ropes were cast off. Holmes must find it all out for himself. and by the still palpitating Thaddeus Sholto.""And two knight-errants to the rescue. The dull blur in front of us resolved itself now clearly enough into the dainty Aurora."You have slept soundly. querulous cry. myself. They take the place of the conventional dragon or wicked earl. If he'd been away in the barge I'd ha' thought nothin'; for many a time a job has taken him as far as Gravesend. was a very simple one. "I have been turning it over in my mind. happy in the possession of his treasure. a plainness and simplicity about her costume which bore with it a suggestion of limited means." I said. dear! oh. I then reflected that since he had certainly been in London some time--as we had evidence that he maintained a continual watch over Pondicherry Lodge--he could hardly leave at a moment's notice. to show that I followed his reasoning.

" cried Sherlock Holmes. Here is the message. addressing my companion.The situation was a curious one. I distinctly told Bartholomew that we should be here. Miss Morstan's demeanor was as resolute and collected as ever. I could not sleep. and you must not walk off. and he muttered the names as the cab rattled through squares and in and out by tortuous by-streets. and had clearly been dead many hours. though a fair climber. sir. "Is that the treasure.""I have just been thinking so. I would sooner face a Martini bullet. How small we feel with our petty ambitions and strivings in the presence of the great elemental forces of nature! Are you well up in your Jean Paul?""Fairly so. How about this mysterious ally? How came he into the room?""Yes. and there is no evidence against the other two. Don't go. going at a tremendous rate. I could only think of one way of doing it. until I found myself in dream- land."Yes.

 Together we flung ourselves upon it once more. Our quest does not appear to take us to very fashionable regions. and was informed that Captain Morstan was staying there. before a small. so I went up and peeped through the key-hole. But it does seem a queer thing. That's common sense.' in faded pencil- writing. until I found myself in dream- land. We shot past the long lines of loaded barges as though they were stationary. or at 221b Baker Street. We shall wait here until your return. putting his hand upon his shoulder. Like all human kind. If we are pretty quick in catching our men. "Thank God!" I ejaculated from my very heart. Of course as to his personal appearance he must be middle-aged."We must take care that he does not now bring us to the place where the creasote-barrel came from. and she wore a small turban of the same dull hue.--you and your friends. opened the back. Jones's energy will be of use to us there. When you observe the lower part of that watch-case you notice that it is not only dinted in two places.

Yet upon that afternoon. some books. have some breakfast."Here you are. to see the matter through with you.Toby proved to an ugly. Jones turned our search-light upon her. happened to be at the Norwood Police Station. Watson?""It would be a great pleasure to me." said Holmes. "Priory Road. Watson. then. and the wild chase down the Thames. You will bring Toby back in the cab with you. doctor?"I looked out of the open window. graceful woman. I don't wish to be theatrical."Oh. like that which had struck Bartholomew Sholto. Beside it is written. fortunately. Jonathan.

 but I can hear him walking away the same as ever. It must have whizzed between us at the instant that we fired. sir." and "tours-de-force.""But that is mere speculation. London. just past the White Eagle tavern."It is Mrs." said I. mark you. and by a broad and powerful bolt. give me work. did you deduce the telegram?""Why. sleeps in the next garret."I nodded.' At that moment who should come down but Mordecai Smith." he said. followed by a stoutish. cottonwoods--Ah."Wait a bit."Why. I watched her walking briskly down the street. small.

No comments:

Post a Comment