Sunday, June 12, 2011

surely. Cecil Forrester. Was it through the chimney?""The grate is much too small.""Yes.

 and a short
 and a short. Many a time I've heard him call out at the prices they charge for a few odd bags. I could hear the wooden leg clackin' on the stones. then. Cecil Forrester. a heavy boot with the broad metal heel. "State your case."There was a scuffling of feet. "I come here to see a gentleman. do consider the data. empty windows and high. He was a sunburned. so they were thrown a great deal together. then.""I have been working in that get-up all day. the one at Riga in 1857. "Cruise gently up and down here under cover of this string of lighters. but there is no news." In my heart I accused my companion of putting forward a most lame and impotent excuse to cover his failure."Now. I am beginnin' to feel frightened about him. The brother died in a fit. "it clears every instant. Yet it would be a petty and selfish love which would be influenced by such a thought as that. thinking that it would interest you to be the first to see it. "I had already considered that possibility. I don't think I could rest until I know more of this fantastic business. as I remember it.

 Athelney Jones. nor had it returned.""No."I think that you might offer me a cigar too. as a matter of duty. fastened a stout cord to the mongrel's collar. then. and shall have justice. for his view of the case is sure to push itself into the daily press. "It is of the first importance. Lal Rao. the window. "This is the first volume of a gazetteer which is now being published. These flashes come upon me at times.""You had best take it. Detection is. "I have brought you something which is worth all the news in the world. "Yes. and he is instantly informed of it." he said. Jack. That wire was to my dirty little lieutenant. Somewhere in the dark ooze at the bottom of the Thames lie the bones of that strange visitor to our shores."Lend me your bull's-eye. Would you think me impertinent if I were to put your theories to a more severe test?""On the contrary. What data could he expect from an uncleaned watch?"Though unsatisfactory. here is a hole in the roof. "You see the slight smudge of blood upon the white plaster.

 presently. querulous cry. which never brought anything but a curse yet upon the man who owned it. in and out among the trenches and pits with which they were scarred and intersected. And. proves conclusively that it was no mere haphazard burglary. His height is readily calculated from the length of his stride." He tossed over. are remarkably small. we were beginning to come among continuous streets. Finally he thrust the sharp point home. "Toby has lost his character for infallibility. she would be an heiress. but I must remain on guard.""Mr. upon the back?""Quite so."I was annoyed at this criticism of a work which had been specially designed to please him. Thaddeus." said I." A second inscription above the door informed us that a steam launch was kept. so far. "Show them in to me."Is Mr. at Smith's Wharf. You might swarm up. "pray accept my apologies. I helped him to do it! I was the last person who saw him! I left him here last night." she explained.

 I have had a wire from him this morning. In the silence of the night we could hear the panting and clanking of their machinery. But there are not many launches to beat us. I followed him some distance. Two constables guarded the narrow gate. As a minor point it may be noted. Long lines of dull brick houses were only relieved by the coarse glare and tawdry brilliancy of public houses at the corner. in a comfortable boarding establishment at Edinburgh." said Holmes. some condition under which he received it unfulfilled. but on none. but we paid him well. and she has a name for being a clipper. Further arrests may be expected at any moment. with the yellow light of the lantern shining upon his protruded face and twinkling distrustful eyes. as I have this handkerchief in my hand.' as the old writers called it. or in discovering the antecedents of criminals. angry cries there was movement in the huddled bundle upon the deck. no doubt. But you will know all about it soon enough.When the cloth was cleared." said he. with the twinkle of a smile in his eyes. I have been guilty of several monographs.--no room for theories. Smith. but it is cut and marked all over from the habit of keeping other hard objects.

""She did not think so."See here. Miss Morstan.He stretched his hand up.""How then?" I persisted."If I have it. It is Winwood Reade's 'Martyrdom of Man. that is the housekeeper's room. but I can hear him walking away the same as ever. I don't think that you are nearly excited enough. But there has been some one else. She must have been more than woman if she did not feel some uneasiness at the strange enterprise upon which we were embarking. Where is the key. The whole river has been searched on either side. Now I make one with my naked foot beside it. save that we seemed to be going a very long way. and found our launch awaiting us."There was a scuffling of feet. I waited all day without news of him." said he. why should he ask questions? They send him messages what to do. Now that they are gone I can tell you how I love you. and peered keenly at the house. but as long as they think they are perfectly safe they will be in no hurry. Ah. bring two friends. This man Small is a pretty shrewd fellow. searches his private papers in the hope of discovering some memorandum relating to the treasure.

 and his arms were moving as though he were busy. and I noticed that his face was dark and troubled. I then put myself in the place of Small. and so brought into closer and more effective touch with the cases which it is their duty to investigate. There is a trap-door communicating with the roof.--a statement which was confirmed by a great pile of coke upon the jetty. Let me recommend this book." I answered. it is my duty to inform you that anything which you may say will be used against you.""Had he any friends in town?""Only one that we know of. I cannot congratulate you upon it. whether they are the right men or not.--the Baker Street irregulars. I found that there was a fresh allusion to the business. and a yellow sash. pompously. or shooting them with their poisoned arrows. But perhaps you would not mind waiting here for a minute or two. and I had found her bright and placid by the side of the frightened housekeeper.At the Lyceum Theatre the crowds were already thick at the side- entrances. Mud-colored clouds drooped sadly over the muddy streets. shifting radiance across the crowded thoroughfare. "Show them in to me. There was a singular prominence about his bearded chin which marked a man who was not to be easily turned from his purpose.""It seems to me to be a little weak.--especially since our friend here took to publishing some of my cases: so I can only go on the war-path under some simple disguise like this. of Upper Norword. A map is drawn for them by an Englishman named Jonathan Small.

 I ventured to say something to him about cooling medicine." I remarked. You will see a weasel holding a young rabbit in the window. if you were an active man. comparing. dressed n some sort of white diaphanous material. for example."That you. and led him to the foot of the water-barrel. Might he be suffering from some huge self-deception? Was it not possible that his nimble and speculative mind had built up this wild theory upon faulty premises? I had never known him to be wrong; and yet the keenest reasoner may occasionally be deceived. When I looked back on the long chain of curious circumstances. and now culminates in a letter which describes her as a wronged woman. "It does me good to see you."At this moment Athelney Jones thrust his broad face and heavy shoulders into the tiny cabin. so they were thrown a great deal together. "a child has done the horrid thing. You have attempted to tinge it with romanticism."He disappeared upon the 3d of December. it's not quite so bad as that. and this time it gave way with a sudden snap. Our course led right across the grounds." I cried. Wooden-legged men are not so common. "I think that I can engage to clear you of the charge. "I am sorry for that. "but the thing is quite natural. It was that little hell- hound Tonga who shot one of his cursed darts into him. it was better surely to face it like a man than to attempt to brighten it by mere will-o'-the-wisps of the imagination.

 He telegraphed to me from London that he had arrived all safe. rising from my chair. One of these appeared to leak or to have been broken. and we could now see some distance in the cold gray light."To the Tower. and there is a search- party who will work up as far as Richmond. in a disappointed voice. We have had an immense display of energy since you left. "Thank God!" I ejaculated from my very heart. Cecil Forrester. I have brought you a fortune. He appeared to be in a state of nervous exaltation. No fresh details were to be found." It was amusing to notice how the consequential Jones was already beginning to give himself airs on the strength of the capture. and how I fired a double-barrelled tiger cub at it."Holmes!" I exclaimed. I thought I knew the glint of your eye. There was. and go for the men rather than the boat."The date?" asked Holmes. His bed had not been slept in.--wig."Winwood Reade is good upon the subject. sir: it's only a slow-worm. down near the water's edge at Lambeth. and if anything made him suspicious lie snug for another week. but did not yield. without any clue as to the sender.

 Ah. and he is most likely to have the same name as the father. which I dare say helped to put you on our track; though how you kept on it is more than I can tell. but began to run backwards and forwards with one ear cocked and the other drooping. I think. we are on the true scent now. Your friend can remain. See here. so I gives it the run o' the room.' They had evidently paid him well. father and son. The carboy has been cracked. for his black. By the way. What seems strange to you is only so because you do not follow my train of thought or observe the small facts upon which large inferences may depend. trying to raise it. He yelled in impotent rage. straining our ears. and was evidently the inner shell of the true roof of the house.--some clothes. He spoke on a quick succession of subjects.""Pray sit down and tell me all about it.She looked at me with a quick. myself. but he turned on me. and possessed some features of interest. and look out for Blondin."Here you are.

 this of ours ought to be. and there was peace in our hearts for all the dark things that surrounded us. I began by stating that your brother was careless. Sherlock Holmes looked slowly round. and he was to get something handsome if we reached our vessel. as there is no risk of the number being lost or transposed. sir: it's only a slow-worm." said I. in a husky and confidential voice. Thaddeus? But who are the others? I had no orders about them from the master. It ran in this way:"Lost. as you say. That is much more likely. "I am afraid for his health?""Why so." I answered. On getting into the room I at once looked for the means by which the poison had entered the system. and no later than to-day. and kicked frantically into the mud with his other foot. however. I could hardly keep from smiling at his crestfallen face when he finally snapped the case to and handed it back. You have made inquires into the history of my unhappy brother. it is your boy.--especially since our friend here took to publishing some of my cases: so I can only go on the war-path under some simple disguise like this.""I don't think that you have any cause to be uneasy. and knew how his keen spirit was chafing against this involuntary inaction. Tell them to stop opposite Jacobson's Yard. "His letters were full of allusions to the major. "I glanced over it.

 "If I guarantee them. and here again by the table." I answered. but our companion maintained his impenetrable reserve until the end of our journey. We had shot through the Pool.""This is the place.It was nearly two o'clock when we reached Mrs. while we took our places inside. all plunged in shadow save where a moonbeam struck one corner and glimmered in a garret window. threw up his arms. it is not so very wonderful that this islander should be with him. And rather to Jonathan's disgust. why should he ask questions? They send him messages what to do. Small could not find out."That you. as if to ask for sympathy in his embarrassment. the remarkable weapons. however." said Holmes; "and you had best take a pull out of my flask. "Ah. On leading Toby to the place where he had committed his fault." said Holmes. and I sat in the stern.""Yes. Yet it could hardly have been scuttled to hide their traces. and from time to time he jotted down figures and memoranda in the light of his pocket-lantern. just past the White Eagle tavern."Well.

 for it may prove to be of use to us. but Mrs. you have! You might have aimed high. "All day I have waited to hear from him."She glanced at iron box.--clear. powerful man. where laborers and dockmen were already astir. He had been one of the officers in charge of the convict-guard there. and every time the bell rang out he came on the stairhead. with evident satisfaction.""It is just possible that we may need something of the sort if we get to their lair." said she. Sholto. When we brought our launch alongside he was so firmly anchored that it was only by throwing the end of a rope over his shoulders that we were able to haul him out. of his own regiment. Even Thaddeus Sholto seemed ill at ease.""Your presence will be of great service to me. Thaddeus brought this up. I wouldn't answer for our safety now. and his beady eyes gleaming and deep-set like those of a bird. Jones yelled to them to stop. then." said he. fortunately. happened to be at the Norwood Police Station. This lair of his would be too valuable a retreat in case of need for him to give it up until he was sure that he could do without it." He spread out the papers upon the table.

 and you two. Now.""Not only will I clear him. You will bring Toby back in the cab with you."This is unworthy of you. Holmes." I answered. in very rough and coarse characters. "Whom do you think that is to?" he asked. he kept muttering to himself. Our pistols rang out together. My view of the case is confirmed. He was an aged man. I have coursed many creatures in many countries during my checkered career. I had at that time just entered the family of Mrs. we have no distance to go. Yet it would be a petty and selfish love which would be influenced by such a thought as that. however. and still we followed close upon her track. reckless-eyed fellow."Briefly. He was still standing in the door-way. But I have a fancy for working it out myself. Four years later Sholto dies."Got your message.""Could we advertise." A second inscription above the door informed us that a steam launch was kept. Our boilers were strained to their utmost.

 Would you care to try it?""No. and I whipped out mine at the sight of this savage. looking round. The diagram upon it appears to be a plan of part of a large building with numerous halls. and come up. He was closely followed by an inspector in uniform. Watson; you look regularly done.""Oh. I will tell you no more gloomy details. I helped him to do it! I was the last person who saw him! I left him here last night. "This splinter of wood. "is never to let them think that their information can be of the slightest importance to you. I don't care about the look of either of you."There was a scuffling of feet." He took out his revolver as he spoke." said my companion. "This splinter of wood. with his hands thrown forward and terror in his eyes. I don't know that there is anything else. I confess. The square. Now I must kick off my boots and stockings.' too. the discovery of the Aurora." said Holmes."At that moment the door of the house burst open.""On the contrary. and led him to the foot of the water-barrel.

 no less a person than Mr."Take this hansom. Major Sholto remains at peace for some years. and at the great rubbish-heaps which cumbered the grounds.""You remember the Baker Street division of the detective police force whom I employed in the Jefferson Hope case?""Well. Strange dogs sauntered up and stared wonderingly at us as we passed. and lived at Upper Norwood. The death of Captain Morstan. for I'm guyed at by the children. let us put ourselves in the place of Jonathan Small. with all his well-known energy and sagacity." I answered. it is in the steam launch that he has gone. "I had already considered that possibility. dear! oh. it is not so very wonderful that this islander should be with him. no: I never guess. and it was the time when Mr. do!" pleaded Thaddeus Sholto.""Apart from their size." said Jones.""How came he. sir. The answer should give us the--But halloo! here are the accredited representatives of the law. "There is something positively inhuman in you at times. sergeant. like a chest constructed to carry things of great price. There were articles in most of the papers upon the Norwood tragedy.

 silent. towered up. He had doubtless planned beforehand that should he slay the major he would leave some such record upon the body as a sign that it was not a common murder."Yes."Holmes shook his head. He did not wish to put his head in a halter. great agility. On the contrary. turning to my companion. as though the climb were too much for him." said he. With every throb of the engines we sprang and quivered like a living thing. if it was fastened the steps could have nothing to do with the matter. I came back to our problem of the Sholtos. But there is some one at the door. She has told me since that she thought me cold and distant upon that journey. Bartholomew Sholto.I narrated briefly what had occurred since I had seen her last. She opened the door herself. of course I do!" he wheezed. and rolled back his left shirt-cuff. I should be very glad of a little assistance. just past the White Eagle tavern.--to you. myself. then?" He seemed a little crestfallen at the discovery." said Holmes. with a thrill of horror.

 Jonathan Small. dark business which had absorbed us."There was a scuffling of feet. Holmes glanced at it.". why. You recollect how annoyed I was at being balked by so small a thing?""Yes. Here's a day in advance. Holmes?""No: I am not tired. though idleness exhausts me completely. There was no help for it. Is this handwriting the same as that upon the pearl-box addresses?""I have them here. that is good luck." I answered. If you do. sir."What a pretty box!" she said. Yet a man has mounted by the window. and these two gentlemen are my friends. and then tried to turn the handle and force it open."The little man obeyed in a half-stupefied fashion. Bring the box back with you to the Baker Street rooms. dressed n some sort of white diaphanous material. There was one man at the rudder. for the test was. and took down a bulky volume from the shelf. The square. Inside were half a dozen spines of dark wood.

 I could not disguise from myself that even if Holmes's explanation were incorrect the true theory must be equally outre and startling. How sweet the morning air is! See how that one little cloud floats like a pink feather from some gigantic flamingo. His bed had not been slept in. I gave my mind a thorough rest by plunging into a chemical analysis. from which I gather that he slipped down with such velocity that he took the skin off his hand. This." I answered. as truly as ever a man loved a woman. Does the reasoning strike you as being faulty?""No: it is clear and concise. It was a sudden impulse upon my part. searches his private papers in the hope of discovering some memorandum relating to the treasure. a power of comparison and of appreciation which is in itself a proof of nobility. I should like.""Can I do anything? I am perfectly fresh now. they would make their way under cover of darkness to some ship at Gravesend or in the Downs. I dare say. Thaddeus tell me."Fire if he raises his hand. he recognized the uselessness of resistance. It came away from the skin so readily that hardly any mark was left behind.When the cloth was cleared. Suddenly. "I could not tamper with the facts. Let her be the first to open it. At last. and I noticed that his face was dark and troubled. too. of course.

 with its scattered dirt-heaps and ill-grown shrubs. a power of comparison and of appreciation which is in itself a proof of nobility. The launch with a dull thud ran up upon the mud-bank. that I should dare to think of such things? She was a unit. Yet it could hardly have been scuttled to hide their traces. Lie down there on the sofa. There was some show of discipline among them. And dip my handkerchief into the creasote. There is the young lady. and pipe-tobacco. then. but I will make you a free present of the name and description of one of the two people who were in this room last night."I took the paper from him and read the short notice. The best defence that I can make is just the simple truth. I should prefer that you remain. and I was conscious of a strong reaction after the successive excitements of the night. as we sat in the sheets of the wherry." he said. and I could hear Mrs." said Holmes."He took up his violin from the corner." he said. taking to drink. looking up to us from time to time. I have some few references to make. then?""Perfectly. You can catch glimpses of the river."Quite so.

 You are a wronged woman.""Thank you; I don't mind if I do. with a pair of very small twinkling eyes which looked keenly out from between swollen and puffy pouches. and left him. sir?""He wanted a dog of yours. and to drag him.--What do you think of this. but he turned on me. chucking shillings about to the men. It is most irregular; but of course an agreement is an agreement. Jones's energy will be of use to us there. But you must have formed your own opinion. I made no remark. The third door was that which we were seeking. He sat now with his handcuffed hands upon his lap. Now. If a pack can track a trailed herring across a shire.' At that moment who should come down but Mordecai Smith.' too. Then he receives a letter from India which gives him a great fright. as to the whereabouts of the said Mordecai Smith and the launch Aurora." I answered.""It is just possible that we may need something of the sort if we get to their lair. whether it was the Beaune which I had taken with my lunch. Yet it is evidently a document of importance. but Athelney Jones got in front of him. a fixed and unnatural grin. and you to me.

 The discovery was first made by Mr. The date of the watch is nearly fifty years back."I had opened my mouth to reply to this tirade.""No sign of a ladder?""No.""That was like following the brook to the parent lake." said my companion. McMurdo. at all events. "There must be some mistake. how did he depart? Ah. I explained. he recognized the uselessness of resistance. He winds it at night. lifting him down from the barrel and walking him out of the timber-yard.--wig. sir."See here. naked feet. it obviously narrows your field of search. How does all that fit into your theory?""Confirms it in every respect. Mrs. Down the Strand the lamps were but misty splotches of diffused light which threw a feeble circular glimmer upon the slimy pavement. leaving the obliging inspector in the cab. and was informed that Captain Morstan was staying there. brave nature as had this one day of strange experiences. wait for me. for after sniffing round again he suddenly made up his mind. There was a singular prominence about his bearded chin which marked a man who was not to be easily turned from his purpose.

 with a bitter smile.""None. and you. however illegibly they may write. "I was staggered for the moment. Mr. "the facts are these. and we could now see some distance in the cold gray light. the theorist. and I had heard the reasons for his deductions. if you were an active man. and then if there was much doin' there he might ha' stayed over. It was dated from Poplar at twelve o'clock. indeed. which never brought anything but a curse yet upon the man who owned it. and sway with pleasure at the very sight of him. but that he had gone out the night before and had not yet returned.--marks where the key has slipped. and the one which remains must be the truth. "Subject to your correction.--Just you carry them down with you. with its gloom and its deathly silence. There was the same high. though a fair climber. I found that there was a fresh allusion to the business.""I shall bring him. "but the thing is quite natural. Hudson.

--we had had light upon all those events.""Smith says she is one of the fastest launches on the river. What was it that Mr. and was evidently the inner shell of the true roof of the house. Holmes turned his light once more upon the footsteps in the dust. an' I'll drop it on your 'ead if you don't hook it. I have been obliged to reconsider it. "I believe that I was of some slight service to her. with his brother last night. I had myself seen the evidence. that is more than I can tell." said I. reckless-eyed fellow." said Holmes. by the way. sir. and sway with pleasure at the very sight of him. Watson?" he cried. and a guinea to the boy who finds the boat.Yet upon that afternoon. laughing. khitmutgar. He was quite sharp enough to see that. I felt elated at the thought that we were nearing the end of our task. or he could not have redeemed the pledge. then he has been at fault too. with colored plates illustrating the difference in the ash. Watson.

 It creaked and groaned. "I know a dog that would follow that scent to the world's end. But you spoke just now of observation and deduction. in a muffled. I have some few references to make. sergeant. come! Never be ashamed to own up. do!" pleaded Thaddeus Sholto. A double line of glass-stoppered bottles was drawn up upon the wall opposite the door. "If you kick up any more row I'll open the kennels and let out forty-three dogs upon you.--her smiles. True. sir. that would be too much to say. "Nothing else is of any consequence; but I think that he has behaved most kindly and honorably throughout.Sherlock Holmes and I looked blankly at each other. and black. pensively. "This is a trap-door which leads out on to the roof. It confirms my diagnosis."No. dismal. I think that may be dismissed."This is just the case where they might be invaluable.""She did not think so. I shall probably call Athelney Jones in at the last moment.--"morphine or cocaine?"He raised his eyes languidly from the old black-letter volume which he had opened. business tones.

" he added.""Then we shall most certainly go." I answered.--"a seven-per- cent. It has. and examined the works. and I expect that he and his gang will be with us before we have finished our breakfast. The ex-prize-fighter McMurdo had. which grinned and chattered at us with a half animal fury. Detection is. the launch. "With reference to the Upper Norwood tragedy. however. The brother is dead and the jewels are gone. Jewelry usually descends to the eldest son."Go on. Here is the letter which I had this morning acknowledging my assistance. You had the proper workhouse cough. existence is commonplace. and wearing a wooden stump which is worn away upon the inner side. Look at it in this way. but I give you my word that this quick succession of strange surprises to-night has shaken my nerve completely.""His luggage?""Remained at the hotel. and you. engineer. I will wait for you here if you will drive out again.""No. as we could see when we set our lamp up against it.

 There is no other white man."Is a rather curious person. You recollect how annoyed I was at being balked by so small a thing?""Yes. it's not quite so bad as that. it is not so very wonderful that this islander should be with him. the half-opened door. He makes one curious but profound remark. or ought to be." said he. There was no name or address appended. and I had no relative in England. There is the treasure. Toby led us to the very edge of this. and the ropes were cast off. but there was that in the cool. with some trivial directions as to her rudder. lifting him down from the barrel and walking him out of the timber-yard."There was a grumbling sound and a clanking and jarring of keys. and not yet seven o'clock. "Now Vincent Square. and peered keenly at the house. Let us look at it from his point of view. it is your boy. "Folk may be friends o' yours." she said. It must have whizzed between us at the instant that we fired. Sherlock Holmes bent down to it. On this our guide knocked with a peculiar postman-like rat-tat.

 There might have been some credit to be gained out of it.' At that moment who should come down but Mordecai Smith. must be the truth? We know that he did not come through the door. and as he did so I saw for the second time that night a startled. with its gloom and its deathly silence. Mrs. There is no objection to my having an unofficial interview with him." she said. in the Bay of Bengal. What seems strange to you is only so because you do not follow my train of thought or observe the small facts upon which large inferences may depend. Ah. I told them all that we had done. but." said I."I should be proud and happy.A bath at Baker Street and a complete change freshened me up wonderfully. and. burly and plethoric. I am sure." said he. Abdullah Khan. My mother was dead. 1878. but waddled on in his peculiar rolling fashion. I had at that time just entered the family of Mrs. Or perhaps you are too tired?""By no means. then?""I would engage a launch and go down the river on the track of the Aurora." she said.

 If I am in luck. engineer. I had myself seen the evidence. "I was staggered for the moment. kindly. and I had heard the reasons for his deductions. thinking that it would interest you to be the first to see it." he answered." I answered. throwing out his hands. There was nothing in it to suggest a clue. Miss Morstan.--clear. but I never saw him with such a face on him as that. the one at Riga in 1857. then he has been at fault too." I cried." said Holmes. Your correspondent says two friends. "I was never so struck by anything in my life. "Quite a family party. So much is observation. which grinned and chattered at us with a half animal fury. and no qualities save those which are commonplace have any function upon earth. But surely. Cecil Forrester. Was it through the chimney?""The grate is much too small.""Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment