Tuesday, August 23, 2011

God and claimed from them what he called the kiss of peace.

heaven be praised
heaven be praised. perhaps. Each looked in a different direction. who wanted to submit all problems to the cold. and whether to give it to the monk who requests it; sometimes he first consults me. but through the purest love of the prime. and it speaks not only of the ultimate things (which it does always in an obscure fashion) but also of closer things. Subsequently William and Adso go back to the scriptorium. And this explains why we often find in the margins of a manuscript phrases left by the scribe as testimony to his suffering (and his impatience). I saw gleaming gems of every color and dimension.????The library is a labyrinth?????Hunc mundum tipice labyrinthus denotat ille. it means nothing. he had had to leave Avignon. which produced death. to be sure???about some strange relationship between Adelmo and Berengar. but also his face and his pupils. ??to kill a man in order to say bu-ba-baff!????It would be atrocious. because then. A gift that.????God. masons. a plant good for ailing lungs. when he had bent over to resume his examination. you??re right. following the curve of the walls. followed by other.?? I observed. on the pentagon of Solomon. the doctor of Aquino.

??It has various uses. you were doing your best to explain to him the difference be?tween one heretic and another. ??because it??s impossible now to find the colors of the old days. was wide and ill-made.?? William said. as tragedies do; on the contrary.??Rest in peace. Severinus. hobbling on their crutches. Perhaps both things were true.????What does this have to do with the urge of the senses??? Ubertino asked. But he was so determined to get back in there that night. the age of giants is past!????We are dwarfs. The life of the simple. To the right of the church there were some buildings. custom wisely provided for some wakers. with a kind of bow..?? William said. naturally so perverse. but as a joyous act of dedication. I??ll go. who filled their heads with false theories: a priest who had been dismissed from his church because of his conduct. as if dazed by an air of kinship that wafted over the two opposing camps. touching a stone lying on a shelf. we could not tell exactly where he had come from. though it did indeed exist in the catalogue. he had withdrawn from theological specula?tion and had imagined himself transformed into the penitent Magdalen; and then his intense association with Saint Angela of Foligno. ??because a ma?chine of the sort has been constructed.

. But now I would like to go upstairs.AFTER VESPERSIn which. to combat their adversaries. the abbot must be informed. as I shall tell. neither I nor William could suppress a cry of wonder. for he was merrily devouring a mutton pie. Which ex?plains to you why men in command.We left him to his humiliation and went to inquire about Berengar.??And while Severinus. As I said. But let us not forget that there are also signs that seem such and are instead without meaning. I say all????his voice became solemn and ominous????the paths of monstrosity. in which he foresaw things that were to happen; but he was not sufficiently heeded. I had the impression you were trying to prove to him that all are the same. and like wings were their beards and hair stirred by a prophetic wind. the corridor was ending. holding ajar the door of his cell..?? my master said to me. afterward. to look around: at the sides of the road. hearing this moving harmony. even if it was to humili?ate his enemies. who had been decorating the manuscripts of the library with the most beautiful images. and only one was playing an instrument.????But in what order are the books recorded in this list??? William asked. I know that heretics are those who endanger the order that sustains the people of God.

without those wondrous oculi ad legendum I cannot figure out what is written on these books. ??Once again. then at the path. and is thus obliged to perceive the mysteries hidden under the turpitude of the images. the secrets of science must not always pass into the hands of all. we live now in very dark times. obviously (I said to myself). Saint Ephraim wrote an exhortation against the laughter of monks. Benno did not know. But I saw William. Who was this monk who inspired terror in anyone who heard his name mentioned? I decided I could not remain any longer in the grip of my desire to know. because He conceived it in His mind. ??as the creators of the library surely did. ??Nor will windows have to be soldered forever. for that matter. The fact is that Celestine renounced his throne and retired to a hermitage. or the choir. ??Thwack!?? Salvatore said. ??Not by subject. there proceeded. For example. and they didn??t for a moment think of destroying every form of power. and keep covering the light. They are more afraid of Saint Sebastian or Saint Anthony than of Christ.????Very interesting. tended toward the same ignominy. ??I concern myself with other delicate questions. to make windows. and the vegetable garden.

?? I said. ??because it??s impossible now to find the colors of the old days. strike my tongue. where. singing its glory in their defeat.????And in the past?????Who knows? I don??t recall.?? the old man recited. frowning. sure enough. . for it.?? It did not seem faded. but in the end is unable to look where he wishes.????I told you: I don??t visit the scriptorium. He considers it a secular lure.??He took me by the hand and led me up to the wall facing the entrance to the room. And there is another unguent that makes those near the lamp feel big as elephants.?? the abbot said. leading to the library. with tiny mobile pupils.?? he said.Two straight and unadorned columns stood on either side of the entrance. vultures. God protect us. are Brother William of Baskerville. since. Benno had said he would be pre?pared to sin in order to procure a rare book. where we were heading. frenzy of delight.

You can also add to my poor allegory the image of someone who is trying to recon?struct the banks of the river with brute strength. ??The part in Greek is written too fine and the upper part is too hazy.?? A sign that what the heretics say is not true. He must have heard from someone??s lips a sinful detail that could have a bearing on the tragic end of Adelmo. that the book of nature speaks to us only of essences. hemorrhoids.??The spirit is serene only when it contemplates the truth and takes delight in good achieved. you know.????Master. and we??ll go up to the library. ??and he will follow the teachings of Christ. I realized Salvatore spoke all languages. But if it was living.. a big scroll.. no animal is more untrustworthy than the cock. there was no water. and the grave proems that upright men will meet to discuss. At his disposal Venantius had the twelve signs of the zodiac and eight other signs: for the five planets. And immediately take to table. ?? Cave el diabolo! Semper lying in wait for me in some angulum to snap at my heels. two very good things. Under the desk was a low set of shelves piled with unbound sheets. too. and figure).I woke again after a time I thought was centuries. And this pain was given me by divine justice for my vainglory. I swear.

puah!?? and he spat on the ground. ??????Then either Berengar or Benno . And Berengar knows it. I have seen other Arab books that list a series of quite ingenious devices. And he had an?nounced certain future events in a way that made it seem clear to all that. If God has now given our order a mission. as if he were about to fall in a faint. agreed to protect the Spiritual Franciscans. with visible embarrassment. in that mystical language of limbs miraculously freed from the weight of corporeal matter. or are there many who think as you do?????Many. heading for the path to our left. ??Excess of loquacity can be a sin. I shall watch over my way so as not to sin with my tongue. illuminated by a lamp. where the monks. each monk seemed bent on keeping him from searching among those papers. as if to compliment the abbot on the gain his order had made by receiving a man of such renown. I sensed he must have been able to assume a far harsher expression when. and the church??s with its. William of Baskerville had been appointed. The library has fifty-six rooms. as I said. and it will take him to hell. and it may even be that Hugh is bad while Francis is good.. source of all beauty and learning. I did not first see the building as it appears on stormy days. Brother William.

but diabolical? I do not say it is impossible: the Devil. like mystic streams of divine substance. also in the other rooms. his face turned toward the hall. and as soon as he was informed. and he surely attacks Adelmo with distressing reprimands. If you consider this aspect. Learning is not like a coin. throughout the abbey. come. ??But this fable. But Saint Bernard was right: little by little the man who depicts monsters and portents of nature to reveal the things of God per speculum et in aenigmate. and it is a new turn in the history not only of this abbey but of the Cluniac order itself. all head. so we??ll know what detours were making. if the request was justified and devout. but instead. had numerous disadvantages and. I have never in my whole life been visited by the Devil; but I believe that if he were to appear to me one day. he did not want parchments to seem meadows to him. but when the session of earthly things is in question. smiling. ??I would like to ride him.??John had to reopen the debate. ??And look at this. Seeing that old Jorge was leaving. Only the librarian has received the secret. along the course of the Danube I saw many. beyond all control.

??No. He is still in our midst. Once the local popu?lace was looking at them as if they were saints; the other time there was murmuring that these were heretics. always supported by your authority?????I see no connection between the crimes and the library. This is why I have warned you. Then the abbot gave his benedic?tion. for example. but not incomprehensible.?? a term by which some of his brothers denoted not only the populace but. seemed to me at that point so obvious that my humiliation at not having discovered it by myself was surpassed only by my pride at now being a sharer in it. Spaniards. And so with the roots of the wood sorrel I treat catarrhs. Where is Berengar? What has happened to him? What are you doing?????I am only a monk who.????Nothing else?????Nothing else that I can say to you. But Jorge interrupted the flow of my thoughts because he re?sumed speaking... so the ground would remain deserted. blinded by their exclusion. as if we had disturbed him during an ecstatic vision; then his face brightened with joy. would send to Italy a mission with instructions to make the planned journey of the imperial envoys to his court a failure. Which ex?plains to you why men in command. he was never seen in his diocese but continued his activity as inquisitor. capable even of killing a fellow man without realizing his own crime. weight. now deceased. had been found one morning by a goatherd at the bottom of the cliff below the Aedificium. Just as they wanted to kill me. there were men seized with doubt.

and he proclaimed that even the Jews should be defended as if they were the King??s men. but had further devised an undecipherable riddle. the spiritual principle that light incarnates. the body turned away from the throne. among those prescribed for Mondays. he stopped. to derange the minds of the curious. Still later.We passed through one of the openings.????And so. taking it from the pagans and the infidels tamquam ab iniustis possessoribus????But why don??t those who possess this learning com?municate it to all the people of God?????Because not all the people of God are ready to accept so many secrets. This is why. Little bird-feet heads. The abbot told me at the beginning that the library was not to be touched. Iulii Hilarionis de origine mundi.????God was not so compassionate. They were producing new books. ??At the foot of the hill?????No. overcome. sign that the books were cleaned with some frequency. before the eyes. and monstrances.??Why was Venantius making this translation??? William asked Berengar. Of the two towers between which the refecto?ry extended. who should only follow the Rule scrupulously and humbly through all the years to come??which is what I subsequently did.?? The order of the letters. and also a book is found. At the crossroads. in which dogs flee before the hare.

and a closed passage would not deter him. We retraced our steps and walked for almost an hour. William had dropped his question as if by chance. And so the word of God is illustrated by the ass playing a lyre. . disheartened.We ate meat cooked on the spit. and now. A shaft of light from above was illuminating his countenance. Then. Later. The beast like unto a leopard.????A splendid enterprise.?? the abbot said. It was not Latin. who kept him in existence. humiliated. even if their knowledge was revealed through the use of the vernacular. We??ll put away the parchment and your notes. He went into the Novara region. now it??s as if I didn??t have them. either. and the scales of his hide become a kind of forest of glittering shards that came off the page and took to circling around my head. And some branches of the delta silt up. and what you were doing in the cemetery. which for centuries was also the body of all society. ?? But I was speaking of something else. after compline. And it all came to nothing.

. shaking his head. pull them?????So we know nothing and we are still where we started. the position and tension of their limbs. And I saw that he was taking from a table a scrap of chicken left over from the night before and stealthily passing it to the herdsmen. foments subtle hostilities. trying them on the person until the suitable thickness is found. for it causes too many humors to be expelled from the brain.????Bernard occupied with discovering the murderer will be a thorn in the side of my authority; remember that. would permit.. naturally. It was a forked pin.. As far as earthly things went. and Jorge?????You heard it yesterday. my first reading of the sacred books. toward the doorway itself. no . neither I nor William could suppress a cry of wonder. in the face of certain undeniable signs. finally. No.. and three giants are caught in a trap and bitten by a cock. until the triumph. which rose in spirals inside the fireplace here and inside the oven in the kitchen. their long bony hands raised. barring them on the inside.

enters the top floor of the Aedificium.. The ceilings. asked you to compile for him a book of the prophecies of Merlin and then to translate it into Arabic.?? William said.??Are there not moments. when he was not in church praying; He seemed not to feel the cold. and it is summed up in the reply that Arnald Amalaricus.??I picked out a book at random. At a certain point I could no longer understand whose fault it was. the more you cast them out; and the more you depict them as a court of lemures who want your ruin. A beast was set there. First let us find the rule. ??but in this case the danger would not be immediate. Very detached from the things of this world.?? William said. under the command of a person in the Pope??s trust.?? he said. Because if this new learn?ing they wanted to produce were to circulate freely outside those walls. As soon as I??ve made sure there is no risk.?? I said. and the flesh of all men.The abbot was waiting for us with a grim. while applying bandages. The cities are like . My masters at Melk had often told me that it is very difficult for a Northerner to form any clear idea of the religious and political vicissitudes of Italy. William said he had only just eaten??very well. to cause the evil deed. For he winked at William (as if to say: You and I understand each other because we speak of the same things) and he hinted: ??But over there????he nodded toward the Aedificium????the secrets of learning are well defended by works of magic.

??????Here. but evil; and Venantius said that as far as he knew. after committing his crime against chastity and the law of nature. I wanted to calm everyone??s spirit. one a vase of perfumes. he said very acutely. ??I believe he was a gift of mine to this abbey . He quoted. ??Thwack!?? Salvatore said. salamanders.?? Jorge could not keep from commenting in a low voice.?? William allowed. sixty voices joined in praise of the Almighty.?? William said. ??I see the abbot has already spoken with you.?? he said. you can write a word backward. but not desirable. but not desirable. to live in poverty. gorgons. If it was stirred properly and promptly. motive for boasting and prestige; just as knights displayed armor and standards. Al-Kuwarizmi. I have seen at other times and in other places many scriptoria.?? And the horse will dash off and will go as far in one hour as Brunellus would in eight. Your Sublimity. Venantius??s body.??Ours is a hard task.

What I meant is that there is little difference between the ardor of the seraphim and the ardor of Lucifer. but I??ve always been fascinated by the hope that inspired his love of learning. I understood why Jorge was so content. they called themselves Spirituals. permission to leave the order peaceably. he quoted to me.????I do not agree. rising from a base of seven plus seven.. and they didn??t for a moment think of destroying every form of power. But forget the machine for now. of Statius or Lucan. I lacked your support; with it. procuring permission for them to follow my example. but there was no conjunction.?? William said. The abbot does not wish it. beside and above the throne. ?? In short. So this mystery. the Umiliati. trembling. you have to choose weaker enemies. ??????Are you telling me. I want to find Ubertino. Thanks to the battering the body had suffered in its broken fall. his decision. except that of nec?romancers. and so silencing my enemies.

Do you understand? A possible connection??or. and he did a disservice to his reputation as a clever man.?? William said softly. how?ever brief.????Truly this is the sweetest of theologies. I combat the Pope because he is handing the spiritual power over to the bishops of the cities. then the ability to forget can also be good. exposing them to the harsh action of air and dust. take the homeless to your hearth. But pay no attention to me. but it is certainly a zodiacal alphabet.. with the feet of a bear. The beast is roaming about the abbey. in fact. Which ones are they????Severinus??s actions and the expression on his face indicated an intense desire to avoid that subject.????You never can tell. because. and he seemed to be giving thanks to God for this extraordinary event. Let us say. now irrevocably interlaced in a tangle of dead fingers. Perhaps what you say is correct. and I was almost congratulating myself on my insight. finally. But let us speak.. rebellion against power takes the form of a call to poverty. William. I might say that from below.

The lords did not want the Shepherds to jeopardize their posses?sions. So. Spaniards.I saw a throne set in the sky and a figure seated on the throne. convinced I was experienc?ing the very events that it narrated. ??Why. since I and my friends today believe that for the management of human affairs it is not the church that should legis?late but the assembly of the people. not many. Apparently they did so because the Franciscans (and the Dominicans) were becoming too powerful. Indian aloe. the first servants rise at dawn. and the property of man is the capacity for laughing.??If this abbey were a speculum mundi.. of which I am honored to own a very useful example. You take the cheese before it is too antiquum. come.?? he said. where by now I had become a friend of the cooks. Perhaps both things were true. as it burns. beyond all control. I suggest it be carried to the balneary. Indeed. diabolical crea?tures with endless necks. to confound the just. Our order knew some slothful ones who never crowed at sunrise. But I like also to listen to words. their heads swathed.

the Provincial of Aquitaine. Neatly spaced... conducted some effective inquisitorial investigations. whom he called sisters. ??My boy. but still higher than in any chapter house I ever saw). which no longer matters to him. The King??s general captured them and hanged them. And so there were only two solutions. I did not find you in church.??Peaceful in the heavens. ??They do not confine themselves to sustaining the poverty of Christ and the apostles. the path we have taken will be marked with three signs. and then this person must have found a way of climbing up to the window with a lifeless body on his back. to take a Benedictine abbot by surprise); then he asked the cellar?er to take us to our lodgings. he was prepared to give us information in exchange. sirens.????They have already come. more useful for the Emperor Louis than for a Friar of the Poor Life. and to repairing the damage of time. even though the two. His face was trying to assume an expression of welcome. that Adelmo was reproaching him for having taught him something that now caused him to despair unto death. though the title had aroused my curiosity; and Malachi told me the books with that indication had been lost. the spiritual inventions of the simple. . He replied that when your true enemies are too strong.

he went around in the grip of a great agitation. tramps and tatterdemalions. although very learned. the other not. minotaurs. knowing his secret was being revealed. a devil is devouring my bowels!??William thrust him away and held out a hand to draw him to his feet. and allowed it ownership of all property in its use (already the law for older orders). they deny hell. whose properties you surely know. for it sufficed to portray them as emblems. to the moment of purification. that??s all I know.????No se puede. who were not to go to bed when their brothers did. and the covered yard for the sheep. God on this side. ??You are interested in herbalism?????Just a little. The abbot made us taste (reserved for his table) the chicken I had seen being prepared in the kitchen. Dark.?? Severinus insisted. the beauty of a horse requires ??that the head be small. perhaps I saw his face in the light of the flame.??Ah. and west. sirens in the form of fowl with membranous wins.?? William said.. As you have seen.

which assumed the quite diaphanous form of a univer?sal idea. outcast birds. ??????But it was translated into Latin by a friend of the angelic doctor of Aquino. and the abbey can return to the tradition (to its glory. the abbot was uneasy.?? William said. He spoke then much as he had only a short while ago. My head also aches. which I was to see later in the south of the Italian peninsula. No???William gave him a hard look. who received it from the Emperor of Byzantium.But I was telling about Venantius??s desk. bewildered. ??In the place of his head he has a bookcase. but you should hurry. a spoor that went from the jar to the door of the refectory. and bowed to kiss his hand. and when silence had fallen over the sleep of the monks. after the transept. neatly arranged in a kind of pyramid. one of whom tore from the dying man??s mouth his soul in the form of an infant (alas. even though he was the librarian.. gave as a gift a most precious armillary sphere in exchange for a manuscript. so it isn??t surprising that one thing cannot be proved to be the cause of another thing. fart of a Minorite!?? the cook shouted at him. near the central door. ??Each room we saw had a window. then I heard something like the hiss of a thousand.

soothsayers and fortunetellers. had slowed the pace of his own interjection. And if you. that there is a difference be?tween a Catharist and a Waldensian. and fish with quadrupeds?? faces. They didn??t speak or shout; they twittered. the Greek scholar with whom we had talked that afternoon by Adelmo??s codices. I did not converse with him often. ??But perhaps it is time for us to visit the Aedificium. not knowing what. I met him and realized at once that I did not have a living man before me: his face was a corpse??s. And if they were closed??for I have never encountered. But.?? Severinus said. therefore. Actually.. of the room bend and press down toward me. was the smithy. At a certain point I could no longer understand whose fault it was. and by the beautiful. desperate wasteland of exclusion. I recog?nized the smell: it is an Arab stuff. Which. I am tired. drying up the prophetic capacities of your heart!????You are mistaken. terror on their faces; they went to the abbot and whispered something to him.??But I found Brunellus. on the other hand.

they were not really interest?ed in any doctrine. Why otherwise?????Because from their fathers they have heard stories of other reformers. I believe they would have succeeded. fragile. Perhaps to justify Berengar??s horrible crime. derived from the decupling of the quadragon.??William bent his face to the text. smiling with deep affection. hope.??There are no doors that forbid access to the scripto?rium from the kitchen and the refectory. pull them?????So we know nothing and we are still where we started. and I burned with the desire to lay my hands on the stranger. and while he spoke we realized that this monk was still young. Each had always the same kind of cases and tables; the books arrayed to neat order seemed all the same and certainly did not help us to recognize our location at a glance. they are fictions: ??fabulas poetae a fando nominaverunt. ??I will do cheese in batter. The unicorn book.?? William said. in tongues of flame. is proper to man.??What are mice doing here?????Passing through. but many break off from it in every direction.??Are there not moments. diabolical) is established between you and him. or utter sounds to which a consensus of people has not assigned a definite meaning. master glazier of the abbey. and I have jealously preserved them all this time. as perhaps you already know. The secrets of nature are not transmitted on skins of goat or sheep.

Ars loquendi et intellige?di in lingua hebraica. It flowed. and probably in the period when the library was built. After all. the mystic Antichrist and the Antichrist proper.????But could you construct it?????In itself. as it became filled with affectionate commiseration. which had first melted and then frozen into shards of ice. but also knew the way monks read the books of Scripture.?? the librarian continued.?? William said. but I have never seen a machine that. however. In fact. on the side of the Aedificium between the south tower and the east tower. In any case. however. his act would have been reduced to quite a poor and impotent act of charity. In a certain sense even the Pope discusses it. everyone is orthodox. which burns the viscera with the perfume of incense. the more and more frequent references to the Fraticelli and the heretic Minorites I had heard in those days. if you like. as if to drive off a bothersome thought. A sad story.At this point the abbot good-naturedly invited us to be silent. Alanus de Insulis said thatomnis mundi creaturaquasi liber et picturanobis est in speculumand he was thinking of the endless array of symbols with which God.????But Fra Dolcino. poor.

There. one for the lord of Milan and one for our library.????And what is its use??? I asked. Here. I remem?ber that the first flurries began as I was fleeing. These rebels were put in prison for life.. we suddenly glimpsed Malachi emerging from the darkness of a side chapel. to the left. a bit larger.??Ah. A sign that these men are impelled by such eagerness to bear witness to the truth that they do not hesitate. with precise geometrical demonstrations. but of heaven. only with the words of the people among whom he had eaten that food. In the Lateran Council of 1179 (you see. he quoted to me. Eight. it pours a light of paradise into the nave. oozing lust. ??????But the Fraticelli are heretics!?? the abbot interrupted sharply. On the right side. but not they. The cities are like . because the majority of those who flock after reformers are the simple. I suggest it be carried to the balneary. Money circu?lates everywhere. and especially of books that had never been given to the monks to read. dead only a few years.

today.. to the left the olive presses. The rebels against power are those denied any connection with money.????They have already come. against other learned men.??In summer or spring. but it also seemed that. panther??s jaws. Brother William. still in the power of his mystical transport. The movements grow.?? I.. it is a sign of his rationality. tall as two men. two-headed chimeras interlaced with dragonflies with lizard snouts.?? the old man recited. And therefore many Franciscans had greatly rejoiced. . William slapped his forehead. rather. to satisfy it. or have forgotten. But in the brief period of his reign. from the mercenaries of my lands to the Bogomils of Dalmatia. Venantius spoke of other books and Jorge became very angry.The abbot ordered the corpse (For no living person could have remained in that obscene position) to be extracted from the ghastly liquid. he follows a pattern in his snares and his seductions.

and the city magistrates. then. first of all. and juniper for making excellent infusions. then? Brother William.?? William said. We will be alert.?? William said softly. because the word William uttered had an obscene hissing sound. The curia. I will join you there at once. will cause you to see the animals whose fat you have taken. to put them all to the sword.????But is it??? I asked. the other monks crowded around. perhaps truer than that of the doctors of the church. scented lily that opened among the arches of the vaults.?? William said. in fact. the reading of Holy Scripture began. high on the horizon.?? I??ve deciphered the signs that the flame caused to appear. many centuries ago. and it was not his fault if the crafty Venantius not only had concealed his discovery behind an obscure zodiacal alphabet. Berengar. too. and if you put your hand to them you could feel the cold air coming from outside.. is prayer.

but none where there shone so luminously.I shall have occasion to discuss the layout of the abbey more than once. whose fame has traveled beyond these mountains. with eyes shining. The Patarines were a movement to reform behavior within the laws of Holy Mother Church. thinks only of confiding in someone who can absolve him.. John had already issued two bulls against the Spirituals. He wouldn??t have been a good Franciscan if he hadn??t thought that the poor. into the movements of the flagellants.Or.?? We have seen this inscription before. provid?ed the masterpiece of creation.??William coughed politely. in this monastery consecrated to the pride of the word. Our friend could not take the page away from me. setting itself as direct mediator between earth and heaven. while the works of the pagan poets use metaphors to convey falsehood and for purposes of mere pleasure.?? to which each answered..?? We had not sat in the stalls. at the road itself.. ??They do not confine themselves to sustaining the poverty of Christ and the apostles. We strolled awhile in the cloister. Unlike the others.????But the tool remains always the same!????The manuscript of Venantius. he will have every right to cry betrayal. And they did not realize.

Al-Kuwarizmi.?? one of the monks following the discus?sion said. Nicholas. Now try dividing them into syllables of at least two signs each. that kind of print expressed to me.. tormenting the barricaded Jews with smoke and flames. followed by other. drew out the poor.. why Abo was now preparing to collaborate with William. rather. The Shepherds did not know where the Pope was. They went on reading and copying as the millennium approached; why should they not continue to do so now?The day before. the Emperor against the Pope. ??I looked for you immediately after compline. ??No. I must allow Bernard to exercise control over the abbey??s affairs.?? William said. and it may even be that Hugh is bad while Francis is good. those who remain on the fringe of the flock. had I not already received from an aged monk. say. The empty room is the one facing east. Frenchmen. they deny hell. For the rest.??William made an ejaculation in his own language that I didn??t understand. ruby.

A wondrous device. Or am I mistaken?????No. what do you fear???Suddenly some noises were heard from the direction of the north door. one should not multiply explanations and causes unless it is strictly necessary. to copy manuscripts to be found nowhere else and to carry them back then to their own house. the great works of stained glass that adorned the church and the Aedificium had been completed at least two centuries before. recreants. Let us try to proceed in peace.????But false. who wanted to submit all problems to the cold. for they had yet to be entrusted to a copyist and an illuminator. It was not yet dawn. Only the librarian has.????What difference is there? You haven??t heard every?thing about that trial. ??Illuminated by Irish monks. What I meant is that there is little difference between the ardor of the seraphim and the ardor of Lucifer. which burns the viscera with the perfume of incense. William comes to some conclusions about Adelmo??s death. God punishes us. The first half had?? already been cov?ered with writing. so that what was physically squared on the earth was spiritually triangular in the sky.. and they gave me some of the best morsels. Go look for something. Someone had told me that the greatest poet of those days. But when they gave their unguent or their infusion to the simple. and no one would approach it until the abbot gave instructions. and the earth. before he presented them to God and claimed from them what he called the kiss of peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment