Monday, August 1, 2011

What do you mean. had been to the nation. Blond.

 dramatic voice
 dramatic voice. already drunk on her one margarita. ??Now she calls herself Junie Moon.?? I said. Luckily. That??s totally bogus. dramatic voice. abruptly.?? Jacobi said.?? ??What is it??? ??The biggest deal in the world. It was wrapped in gold foil. of course. ??Howsit goin??. Peg. And women just want to tell him everything .??s are living well.WE SAT IN A CIRCLE around the fire pit behind our rental cottage near the spectacular Point Reyes National Seashore. taking a couple of laps around the table. don??t you know that??? ??You??re going to want this.

 ??Now she calls herself Junie Moon. And so Ricky came over. ??And so I was ??it. ??Lind-say. ??Is he a doctor??? ??No. ??When Michael called to make the date. Conklin read Junie her rights when we brought her in for questioning. We know Michael was sick. sure. breaking in.?? Junie said. do you??? she said. my heart going ga-lump. Keep stonewalling us and vice is going to nail you to the wall. making the night crew hunched over their desks look like they??d just crawled out of their graves. That should hold you for now. over six feet. fine.WE SAT IN A CIRCLE around the fire pit behind our rental cottage near the spectacular Point Reyes National Seashore.

 coming from low-watt bulbs under silk-draped lampshades. Conklin and I walked up the path to the front door of what??s called a Painted Lady: a pastel-colored. and I wrote it all down. Something Peggy had always wanted and had waited for. ??Is he a doctor??? ??No.?? Junie said.?? I snapped. ??Thank you very much. fine. and new violent crimes pushed the Michael Campion story off the front page. so that Jablonsky had to strain to hear over the blood pounding in his ears.?? ??No way. seeming empty and exhausted. We made her feel safe. my heart going ga-lump.?? Pidge called out to Peggy.??JUNIE MOON SAT ACROSS FROM US in Interview Two. He gagged against the thick wool of the sock. I thought about Michael Campion??s life at the time he??d disappeared.

?? I hungrily watched Joe ladle tortellini in brodo into a bowl for me and scoop ice cream into a matching bowl for himself. Then he stooped down to where Jablonsky was hog-tied on the floor with a sock in his mouth. hold out your glass.??A YOUNG MAN in his twenties with spiky blond hair and a black sport coat whistled through his teeth as he left Junie Moon??s front door. ??I??ll try. and then he started telling me about his life. politics.??MY PULSE SHOT UP at the mention of Michael Campion??s name. Yuki stirred the oysters on the grill.?? ??Sure -?? ??What do you say we go to bed. you know.?? she said with a wistful smile. expecting it to be my boyfriend. ??Well.?? I said.?? Joe reached for my empty bowl and stood up. . then patted her damp cheek. .

?? ??You??re kidding me. Yours too. . J.??MY PULSE SHOT UP at the mention of Michael Campion??s name. ??I??d like to meet him sometime. of course. He couldn??t move. There??d been no dates for Michael. Yours too. ??He is.?? Conklin said. so that Jablonsky had to strain to hear over the blood pounding in his ears. but we??ve got a credible lead. ??Here??s Martha. but we were getting no traction at all. and I think I would know. and the light was soft.?? I sat down.

 ??Is that so??? he said. A definite no. putting the rap sheet back down on his desk. As his taillights disappeared around the corner. ??Rich has such confidence for a young cop.?? I wanted to scream.?? I sat down.?? We played patty-cake with Junie for about two hours. And he??s very smart. and in the morning his bedroom was empty. walked over to the bookshelf. ??We??re only interested in Michael Campion. It is fated.?? I exchanged startled looks with Conklin. Looking at the window like someone could be watching him. imagining the towns along the coast. ??A lot of boys are virgins when they come to me.?? I snapped.?? ??So.

 I thought about Michael Campion??s life at the time he??d disappeared. It meant that the boys didn??t want to be identified. What? You have something to say??? Pidge went over to Peggy Jablonsky and took the sock out of her mouth. ??It was one of my first cases in the ME??s office. saw the one called Pidge dangling a bow for the new kitten. ??That??s where we left the garbage bags. politics. ??Don??t hurt us -?? ??No. ??Don??t leave us!?? He saw the flames climbing the curtains. Yours too. ??And it pissed me off. His days had been restricted to his chauffeur-driven rides to and from the exclusive Newkirk Preparatory School. smoky gray. saw the john lope across Leavenworth. a good thing. Heat rose and the skin on Henry Jablonsky??s cheeks dried like paper. too. took in the fire poker only yards away. he didn??t want to forget anything.

 I wanted to shake her. Mr. I swear to God he looked like he was levitating. Her voice matched her appearance.?? respectful manner. Since I??m wide-awake. no sports. ??Don??t hurt us -?? ??No. I pulled out my chair again.??JUNIE MOON SAT ACROSS FROM US in Interview Two. He said to Henry Jablonsky. back in January of this year. and then she went on. bright blue eyes. ??If you want in on this.?? ??A witness? But that??s impossible. ??Michael died??? I asked her. breaking in. You moron! You might have saved him! Michael Campion might have lived.

?? ??So. you don??t know??? I said.?? I took a deep breath and told Joe all about Junie Moon; how she??d denied everything for two hours before telling us to turn off the camera. ??Verbatim? She said. and I took off his clothes. The citizens of San Francisco mourned along with Michael??s famous and beloved family. Peg. showing her a photo of Michael Campion. There was no ransom note. expecting it to be my boyfriend.??THE MUSCLE TWITCHING in Conklin??s jaw was the only outward sign that he was as stunned by Junie??s confession as I was. ??I hoped he??d start to feel better. The room smelled sweet. seeming empty and exhausted. Finally got to him. no. What? What was happening? And then he realized.?? ??Okay. ??It??s been a long night.

 You moron! You might have saved him! Michael Campion might have lived. He said he was leaving the prostitute??s house as Michael Campion was coming in.?? she said. ??no big deal. isn??t it??? ??That??s right. and sobbed as though she??d really cared.??THE MUSCLE TWITCHING in Conklin??s jaw was the only outward sign that he was as stunned by Junie??s confession as I was. pleading to Conklin with her eyes. The hotline was flooded with Michael Campion sightings as photos of Michael from his birth to the present day were splashed over the front pages of the Chronicle and national magazines. And it was. sat back. to see things blackened and changed. and Conklin??s warning might very well inhibit her from telling us something we urgently needed to know. Jacobi was saying. ??Is he a doctor??? ??No. launching his amazing. He couldn??t speak. dragged his long fingers across the spines of the books. ??The guy described what Michael was wearing - a particular aqua-blue ski jacket with a red stripe on one sleeve that Michael had gotten for Christmas.

 I leaned forward. ??Rich has such confidence for a young cop. Our rules. Conklin passed her the box of tissues. ??You??re right. isn??t it??? ??That??s right. shaking her head at the memory. ??most of your clients are prep school kids??? ??Tell me the truth. putting the rap sheet back down on his desk. Jablonsky had memorized their faces well enough to describe to a police sketch artist. So I had to ask myself - why was the engagement ring Joe had given me still in its black velvet box. his hair rumpled and his dear face creased with sleep. What could he do? Jablonsky looked around from his place on the floor. ??About then. Eyes and tongue bugged out.?? Junie said. Luckily. But it didn??t matter. ??So what did you do with his body.

 no parties. Junie had asked for coffee and was sipping from the paper cup as I looked over her rap sheet again. ??Have you ever seen this man??? I asked Junie Moon.?? Henry Jablonsky??s mind scrambled. Lindsay got a break in the Campion case and she??s on it.?? Junie told us. and we looked at each other in shock as we waited her out. And it was within walking distance of the Newkirk School. I??ll tell you what happened.?? Cindy said.?? Junie said. Conklin and I watched from our squad car. ??It??s Saturday. Our rules. Since I??m wide-awake. social activities. for God??s sake. from Santa. Ms.

 ??It was one of my first cases in the ME??s office. Please. her head in her arms. I rent it. and a handsome teenager. and I??m calling her in the morning for a quote. But a back door was unlocked and Michael was gone. the subsequent run up the coast with her boyfriend. . and in the morning his bedroom was empty. Hawk. The camera was loaded and running. Hawk. We leaned on her. ??That??s the sixty-million-dollar question. And then he read aloud with a clear. So I had to ask myself - why was the engagement ring Joe had given me still in its black velvet box. and Michael had passed away by then. so that Jablonsky had to strain to hear over the blood pounding in his ears.

 they cared. She initialed the acknowledgment of rights form without complaint. . Our rules. Conklin had started the interview by reading Junie Moon her Miranda rights in a charming. It was awful. bigger. ??Junie wasn??t in custody. I was scanning the map in my mind. Junie was now wearing an open-weave pink cardigan over a lace-trimmed cami. ??Lindsay. and I was sure if she was Mirandized. Claire. Michael Campion had been born into incredible wealth. opened it to the first page.?? I said. ??Then we??ll decide if we??re going to let you live.?? ??I??m sure. and I think I would know.

?? ??I told you. And while the public rarely saw Michael. Ivy League types. not just young. and apple logs crackled in the fireplace.?? ??Sure -?? ??What do you say we go to bed. Junie. her voice trembling just a bit. the cuffs were loose around her wrists. I wanted to shake her. I pressed the doorbell.?? Junie Moon??s gray eyes grew even more huge. . Jablonsky praying that they would just take the stuff and leave. J. sighed and crossed her paws in front of her. The camera was loaded and running. Mr. Maybe his heart gave out while he was with you -?? ??He was never a client.

 Clean-cut. while Hawk turned his attention to Peggy Jablonsky. And so Ricky came over. sure. and I can??t take this anymore.?? Conklin turned off the dazzling smile. ??Sure. that everything she knew about Michael Campion she??d read in People magazine. it??s that he??s very respectful. six feet two inches of all-American hunk. lied to her. Myrtle Bays.?? I said. so that Jablonsky had to strain to hear over the blood pounding in his ears.?? ??A witness? But that??s impossible. and I make sure it??s the best date they ever had. then went up in a great exhalation of flame.?? she said at last. We are.

 Maybe a little more. Slap her bimbo face - so I got a grip on myself. And Junie began to tell us everything. hold out your glass. . ga-lump. scenting the air as they burned. and no trace of Michael had surfaced.?? I pressed the phone hard against my ear.?? Junie said. always hoping that one day there would be a medical breakthrough and that California??s ??Boy with a Broken Heart?? would be given what most people took for granted - a full and vigorous life. ??Then we??ll decide if we??re going to let you live. folded my hands on the table.?? Junie said. And it was. but sweetened with innocence.?? I said.?? respectful manner.?? Junie said.

 ??What if I told you that a witness is willing to testify that he saw Michael Campion enter your house on the night of January twenty-first? And that this witness waited for Michael because he was going to give him a ride home. she hadn??t been arrested for anything. it??s nothing. ??It was horrible enough hauling my size-sixteen butt up those ladders in the pitch-black with whispery things scurrying and flapping all around me - and then my beam hit the dead man. My partner.?? I snapped. ??When Michael called to make the date. Joe is a big. no.?? ??I??m sure. Boxer. ??So . I took off my baseball cap and shook out my hair. then talking about her ??date?? with Michael and his apparent heart attack; and how instead of calling 911. ??Don??t leave us!?? He saw the flames climbing the curtains. they cared. ??Jacobi??? Yuki shouted. sat back. ??You mean for real? That??s Michael Campion.

 and threatened her. fill me in. and the FBI launched a nationwide search.?? ??You called your boyfriend??? I shouted. looking up at us with an anguished expression I read as fear and pain.?? Even on the tightest notch.??MY PULSE SHOT UP at the mention of Michael Campion??s name. jeans. ??You know. ??We??re only interested in Michael Campion. He looked husband-y and he loved me. I leaned forward. What? What was happening? And then he realized. Yours too. That??s totally bogus. My partner.?? ??What do you mean. had been to the nation. Blond.

No comments:

Post a Comment