Sunday, August 14, 2011

man disappeared over the edge.

Hortense disappeared
Hortense disappeared. You are at risk. not Jerusalem. Mayhem was still rampant in the streets. don't worry. who could crush iron in his hands. It seemed impregnable. then fled into the hills like children hurling stones.No one wants to hear your silly jokes.Instead . He would give up the city.I started toward the road.I saw the outline of a smile from her.. carrying clubs and tools straight from home. Then she held her half out and we touched the jagged edges together. she said. I knew any moment could be my last. A sea of white tunics and red crosses.

Norcross held it for a moment. You'd better go.Then I knelt beside Robert. from the same building.. I had to do something-even if it sealed my own fate. tell me. I thought I saw something there that in that instant mirrored my own thoughts.soldiers. I'd been brought up by goliards.Guillaume's horse waded in. In a last effort. We were heading down. Sophie.I stood before her. There was a traitor inside Antioch. but when it comes out it's flopping about?She widened her eyes and blushed. side by side. I raised myself to my elbows.

too exhausted to celebrate. as nearby as Avignon. kneel and take the Cross. then fight for the glory of your liege when called upon. I wished Nico were here. How could anyone but a devil have such bright red hair? she said.My attacker hesitated. we were told. the monk named Peter went on. horsemen appeared.'Aroused. I promised grimly. But then he was overwhelmed. as tall as the highest towers. I was prepared to say anything. uncared for. Horsemen were coming in at a full gallop! I was rolling a cask up from the storehouse when all around jugs and bottles began to fall. the monk said in a surprisingly strong voice. barely wide enough for a cart and a horse.

A moment before. for those who put aside their earthly possessions and join our Crusade. I spun to see a third attacker. The animal's hind legs spun. I can't wait for my next sunflower.The Tafurs came upon him with their swords and awful clubs. It was impossible to tell a red cross from a pool of blood. and there were fruits I had never tasted before: oranges and figs. thrusting their swords toward Heaven and hurling their helmets into the air. but the Turk intercepted me with a vicious kick. You're right.I have to go. Brigit Convent. Then he sneered. and who can blame him? We've marched a long way. Then she held her half out and we touched the jagged edges together. I raised my sword. You could die. I muttered Sophie's name as if in prayer.

I held her by the shoulders and looked into her eyes.All of them. the terrified Alo cried..A gasp escaped from those on shore.Somewhere in the heights.I heard awful cries of death farther up the hill. As he charged.A trumpet sounded the call to arms. spinning around a final time to catch her laugh. We were meant to be together.I will help the miller increase his tax by a third. Tafurs. I vowed to carry it with me wherever I went for the rest of my life. I was twice the boy's size.Our catapults flung giant missiles of fiery rock. but everyone shouted him down. I lifted the staff that had been in my hands when the Turk spared my life. No one wanted to delay in our rush to catch up with the army of Peter.

I heard Sophie scream. I was trembling with horror. And. it looks old. something told me I could no longer live like this. grabbing for his arm. I would return both sweet smellingand free!Then the knights and nobles rallied us. then head directly for it.. I was trembling with horror. our liege lord. Stalls and markets were crammed with the most exotic goods. so lacking in all provision. but when it comes out it's flopping about?She widened her eyes and blushed. for some kind of dagger. as if he were evaluating whether to leave me in the same condition as the Turk. We had no siege engines to break such walls. If this was how it would be.Gone.

Frank. My eyes locked helplessly on him as he stumbled in his long robe. carrot-top? The glowering knight turned. Hugh. We had marched together for a thousand miles. Antioch would fall. People I had known for years shouted. and I always did. The Turk fell to his knees. This happened.At that moment.Hold your tears. A wave of our own cavalry went out to meet them.The troops along the riverbank burst into laughter. A left at the next ridge and we should seeRome. Her legs parted and I gently eased myself inside. just as one of the attackers thrust a dagger into the belly of the priest. taught me Latin.Then my mind fixed on the danger of the moment.

but the Turk intercepted me with a vicious kick. We can do anything we want. He started to laugh himself. Baldwin. I muttered Sophie's name as if in prayer. Mayhem was still rampant in the streets.Sir. No great loss. all the young who had so eagerly signed up. This time: `Convent. She hurried to the table by the hearth. was a million miles away. I told the eager lad. and the most precious relics in all of Christendom.Then the procession started up again. red-eyed demon that..I looked into his hooded eyes. It may be cold.

Until we were free. but the Turk's stroke was so strong it knocked me backward over the dead priest.At last we stood in the land of the dreaded Turk!The first fortresses we encountered were empty and abandoned. with the help of a cohort. was of treasure and glory. kicking and screaming. I'll save you a spot. I accept your offer. She had a song for me.. the leaders cried. so lacking in all provision. our ranks shredded. Her legs parted and I gently eased myself inside.Sir. I lifted the staff that had been in my hands when the Turk spared my life. Once-proud knights trudged humbly. I noticed a glimmer coming from under a rock. and the mood in the ranks brightened with anticipation of what lay ahead.

Each year I promised I would come back. at the entrance. The lucky among us were slain where they stood.As he made his way back across the square. she said.Up ahead.The massive Turk.THAT TERRIBLE AFTERNOON changed my life. I swiped a sunflower and went up to her.Suddenly I heard shouting from up ahead.Tafur. the Tafurs were distinguished by the ragged sackcloth they wore as uniforms and by the ferocious savagery with which they fought. What a glorious adventure awaited. a bit reluctantly. I heard the loudest chorus of voices. Turks hacking at them. taught me Latin. Well. schooled in the sciences and languages.

We were meant to be together. uncared for. Beside her was the miller's wife. even if you try and deny it. Another knight galloped into the water and waded out to the spot. if I truly believed. This is Veille du P?re?It must be. to break the mood.Mocking us was more like it.We looked at each other for a long while. all at once. I knew she valued it more than anything in her life...Now I was free..hundreds of them . Hugh.Outside Civetot we had our first taste of the enemy.

just go through that door.. West. It will be made easily. I wanted to say. We were heading down.. The ranks of farmers. To Georges and Marie's frantic shrieks. . Turk warriors made forays outside the city walls. their chargers useless. transfixed by the awful corpses of the Turks. And holy relics worth more than a thousand inns like ours. Seeing his comrades slain. I heard Sophie scream. I simply could not hold back. Hurry. other visitors came through our town.

I laughed. A slide of rock and gravel hurtled down at us. It would have beenme in that pool of blood that was leaking across the stones.. Norcross held it for a moment.. my sword flew out of my hands.A trumpet sounded the call to arms. I knew she was trying to be brave. Marie begged on her knees. I squawked about like a chicken. was of treasure and glory. Hundreds of fortified towers guarded each segment of an outer wall that appeared ten feet thick. thank God. This happened. But the forays were met with such fierce resistance from the walls that they became graveyards for our bravest men. run dry of provision by the Turks themselves. Even my mother's mother could cross here.I was able to grip the strap of the leather satchel slung over his shoulder.

limbs cut off and piled like wood. That was it! Our men were inside. The love of my life. Anything might happen. Guillaume's mount seemed to stumble.When we charge. but for him it was never far.. He had joined the quest as a translator. He was tugging on his knife. given to them at a young age when my mother died. just that I could no longer fight in their ranks. I scanned the walls. Kill the pagans and sit with the Lord in Heaven.Whatkind of God inspired such horror? Was this God's fault? Or man's?Something snapped in me.He took a look at his assailants. limbs cut off and piled like wood. I couldn't hold it down. just that I could no longer fight in their ranks.

At the preciousfreedom I was about to be granted at last. Fields that were once milk and honey now lie spattered with the blood of Christian sacrifice. Our pace quickened. I laughed.We had beenmarching for months now.. hundreds of tall towers. he shrugged to his comrades.Join us. it seemed. But this was magnified a thousand times. lofting some harmless arrows at us. limbs cut off and piled like wood.. he hoisted the nine-year-old lad up like a sack of hay. Whatever I thought I was fighting for. Hardened knights. Make way!We scattered off the trail and turned to see Guillaume. plopped atop a simple mule.

Begging to God... spoils.. the nobles urged.Thanks. where they fell. another survivor recounted. `Very well.I don't see any Christians chained to the walls. From behind the mill's door came the sickening cries of Aim?e.Every instant. Something from this moment that I would have for the rest of my life. like a jig. They were snooping for signs that Baldwin's own subjects had taken up the Cross. unsure look. You want to take the Cross?Not the Cross: I wouldn't fight for that. we joined forces with Count Robert of Flanders and Bohemond of Antioch.

From behind. leaving the wheel aloft and Alo's lifeless body suspended high. I knew the stench.The Bosporus . men and women; some carrying axes and mallets and old swords. and I leaped upon him. our burden had seemed bearable. You see those hills over there? I pointed across the channel. The rest of us surged ahead. torsos naked and disemboweled.This is your last warning..As we fled. and from within. I peered into the bastard's black eyes. Other soldiers who had reached the rocks crossed themselves. the captain promised. I swear it. not over peaks.

lashing the boy's wrists and ankles tightly to the water wheel. All I could think to utter was.I will help the miller increase his tax by a third. his head rolling away from him. Professor? and the old Greek muttered only. still eyes. either cheering or laughing at his attempt to show off in front of royalty.And with your stronger son gone.Let's go ! the nobles shouted.The first ram pounded into the heavy gate. his sword poised above my head.. God will be at your side. black slaves from Africa.I love you too. Mouse called to me. I lifted the staff that had been in my hands when the Turk spared my life. mad with thirst. I put my hand on Robert's shoulder.

I don't get it.. in full armor astride his large charger. And my legs stung from the spray of molten pitch. No one around can do the tricks I do. falling to his knees. wielding the dagger that was still covered with the priest's blood. In front of us. for a moment out of harm's way. whatever dream of freedom or wealth had brought me here.A trumpet sounded the call to arms. We baked like hogs. We baked like hogs. There was nothing more to say. or even amid the grease and smoke of the kitchen. Food was down to nothing. There was a feeling that the worst was over. shoot from the crowd. and a man disappeared over the edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment