Tuesday, May 10, 2011

come to the hospital where I was. the water clear.

 It is the captain
 It is the captain.They were all eating. Every one laughed. the captain said. and his hair shone. There were racks of rockets standing to be touched off to call for help from the artillery or to signal with if the telephone wires were cut. The orderly was listening behind the desk. was lined with them. He had not felt bad but now the shoulder had stiffened. You see Im not mad and Im not gone off. I said. father. We went on and passed the regiment about a mile ahead.Im so sorry. I remembered.

Its a charming place. whether or not things were obtainable. went to the jail and asked to see the priest. sir. hung over the two beds.They were all eating.Yes.Oh I love to tease you. It was what I had wanted to do and I tried to explain how one thing had led to another and finally he saw it and understood that I had really wanted to go and it was almost all right. Go on tell me. he said.I wish you were back.Bring Caruso. Signor Tenente.I dont know.

Yes. You only pretend to be American.But now we will shut up. I said. went to call on Miss Barkley. she said. Mr. Goodnight. with the sun on it. I tried to move sideways so that it did not fall on me.How are you. I said.Outside we ran across the brickyard.I have to go. One killed and the fellow that brought you.

She laughed. You get along very well without me. they would not be loaded. TenenteWhere is Gordini and GavuzziGordinis at the post getting bandaged. The Saint Anthony was in a little white metal capsule. Tenente. I had treated seeing Catherine very lightly. Is there anything youd like to talk aboutBut I do love you.Just as you like. I said. That major at the first post was a hogbutcher. We stopped at the side of the road. The officers all wore helmets; betterfitting helmets. This was a game. I said.

 I watched them settle on the ceiling. After a while the English ambulance came up and they put me onto a stretcher and lifted the stretcher up to the ambulance level and shoved it in.Say.He poured two glasses and we touched them. and a bandage around his head. I handed the canteen back to Passini. His nose was skinned and there was dust on the bloody patch and dust in his hair.Do we have to go on and talk this wayNo. It is disgraceful.Priest not happy. yes. Im leaving now for a show up above Plava. I said. but the nights were cool and there was not the feeling of a storm coming. The earth of the dugout was warm and dry and I let my shoulders back against the wall.

 Where have you beenCalling on the British. whether or not things were obtainable. isnt heYes. The officers were not good but dull. she said. Then I forgot about him. I had on wool stockings but Passini wore puttees. There were many more guns in the country around and the spring had come. Or shot through the shoulder. Get well soon. Will you have a cigaretteThanks. They would. Perhaps we should have a drink. I had treated seeing Catherine very lightly. They took off my trousers and the medical captain commenced dictating to the sergeant adjutant while he worked.

 Because were going to have a strange life. I said.How do you do Miss Barkley said. Rinin. The road climbed steeply going up and back and forth through chestnut woods to level finally along a ridge. I said in English. said the major.Two carabinieri held the car up. the captain commenced picking on the priest. Evviva lesercito. He offered me a glass of cognac. she said. But the little Scotch one is very nice.Outside the post a great many of us lay on the ground in the dark. Every day I am better.

All thinking men are atheists. would you he asked.Its very hard.Bacchus. Manera said. At first it dropped slowly and regularly. they stopped them. I said. and really you are just like me underneath.It was a ghastly show.Bersaglieri have run too. A V.In the ward at the field hospital they told me a visitor was coming to see me in the afternoon.Later. There was a great splashing and I saw the star shells go up and burst and float whitely and rockets going up and heard the bombs.

 wash it out. Im leaving now for a show up above Plava. I told them what I had heard. he said.This isnt a deep dugout. I wished I were in Milan with her. The wine was bad but not dull. brushed my hair and we started. of course. No. There were some British batteries up with the third army. I say its rotten. I said. He loves Franz Joseph.How are you.

He took off his gloves. He had to sign the proposition for the citation. Im not. said the major. You only pretend to be American. Tenente Can I help in any way He was the quietest one of the four. Why did you join up with the ItaliansI was in Italy.Im so sorry. I was angry and yet certain.Did they cross the river all rightEnormously. Go on tell me. Through the other noise I heard a cough. I wanted to go to the Black Forest. Any frescoes were good when they started to peel and flake off. Im learning it.

 We saw their white uniforms through the trees and walked toward them. It was cold in the car in the night as the road climbed. I had been driving and I sat in the car and the driver took the papers in. Every night priest five against one! They all laughed again. the long barrels of the guns covered with green branches and green leafy branches and vines laid over the tractors. then stopped and kissed her. I like him. I kissed both her shut eyes.I have to get washed and report. Thats where the money comes from.Slit the tunic. close behind the lines. I wished to God it was over though. he touched the little finger. The mechanics were working on one out in the yard.

 Laugh. They were afraid. There was a great splashing and I saw the star shells go up and burst and float whitely and rockets going up and heard the bombs. I wore a real one and felt like a gunman until I practised firing it. After some more wine I told the story of the jockey who found the penny. first fingers extended.I did not understand the word. Ill not learn it in two weeks. I would like to eat at the Cova and then walk down the Via Manzoni in the hot evening and cross over and turn off along the canal and go to the hotel with Catherine Barkley. whether or not things were obtainable. Ill go and see him and ask if he will recommend you.Most of them dont.Three hundred fives. They come back for me. I said.

 I started when he did. I saw the blanket open. Baby is puzzled. Close to the bank I saw deep pools. I said. then came the chuh chuhchuh chuh then there was a flash.Good evening. I had treated seeing Catherine very lightly. hauling them back from the mountains to the clearing station and then distributing them to the hospitals named on their papers. the meal was finished. I put thumb and fingers into the macaroni and lifted. Now Ill probe for some of this if you like but its not necessary.Kiss me. The major was at the telephone sitting on a box. He did not hear me.

No. It was a big trench mortar shell. he said. as they fall from an icicle after the sun has gone.Could I see her just for a momentThey sent an orderly to see and she came back with him. she said.No. three men nurses and a doctor and picked you up out of bed and carried you into the dressing room so that the beds could be made while we were having our wounds dressed. Its only the ambulance. I had wanted to go to Abruzzi. Where did you meet her In the Cova Where did you go How did you feel Tell me everything at once. He didnt have a sabre cut. the gas mask in an oblong tin can. I lay still and let the pain ride.Oh.

 Milan. The door was open. a noble man and with whose injustice.Not reallyNever. He started with the upright thumb and named in their order the thumb and four fingers. Rinaldi said. said the priest. Still I would probably have been killed. Goodby. But the Italians had crossed and spread out a little way on the far side to hold about a mile and a half on the Austrian side of the river. Are you badly hitIn the leg. on purpose. You see Im not mad and Im not gone off.Oh. darling.

As the ambulance climbed along the road. There were many more guns in the country around and the spring had come.Better not drink too much brandy then.I think you do not know anything about being conquered and so you think it is not bad. At the gate of the driveway that led up to the British villa. One of the medical captains said the attack had been put forward an hour. sitting in my trousers and an undershirt in front of the open window. Go on tell me. we knew it was all over for that year. Those postcards would be very fine in America; strange and mysterious. You will be decorated. You must have done something heroic either before or after.Ill just step out the door a minute. I looked at the board tables. Outside the window it was a lovely spring morning.

 Did you stay all nightYes. If youve got a fracture you dont want inflammation. Rocca ignored this and went on to explain the joke to me.I do not believe it. Passini said. the broken houses of the little town that was to be taken. wop. Ive studied it for months now.Dont go. Grappa. Did you have any beautiful adventuresYes. There were four drivers. said Rinaldi. I remember having a silly idea he might come to the hospital where I was. the water clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment