Tuesday, May 10, 2011

couldnt stand the nurseseveningoff aspect of it.

 They say if you can prove you did any heroic act you can get the silver
 They say if you can prove you did any heroic act you can get the silver. To save you trouble. The frescoes were not bad. He slapped me on the shoulder. Hes coming to see you. the injustices he had received and in which I participated as an American. Some of the wounded were noisy but most were quiet.Not reallyNever. I handed it to Gordini.The next afternoon we heard there was to be an attack up the river that night and that we were to take four cars there.That is not good. gonorrhea. to ride along the road across the plain and deliver the wounded at the two hospitals. I asked him what happened and he said.

 They had the complete marble quality of all looking alike. Somebody was singing. I said. Im something called a V. The lieutenant said I slipped the truss on purpose.We looked at Rinaldi talking with the other nurse. wash it out. Two men were lifting the hernia man to put him in. baby. I said. I came back the next afternoon from our first mountain post and stopped the car at the smistimento where the wounded and sick were sorted by their papers and the papers marked for the different hospitals. There is only one difference between taking a girl who has always been good and a woman. looking at my eyes all the time. He can be here until you are ready to take him.

And the priest was locked up. They tell me youre an American.I wish there was some place we could go. I am listening. I helped the soldier with the rupture up on the seat with us. It was a nasty place and the Austrians should not have let them hold it. You go away sototenente! You come back sotocolonello! They all laughed. or else using a continuous lift and sucking into the mouth. I went on home. who said Miss Barkley was on dutytheres a war on. I could have given him that anyway. aint this a goddam warListen.Its a silly front.All right.

 NapoliThats enough. Its much cooler. Rinaldi carried a holster stuffed with toilet paper. These V.Kiss me. the major said.Thank you for the coffee beans. They sat down and waited. He made a gesture and laughed loudly. went downstairs. We went along the rough new military road that followed the crest of the ridge and I looked to the north at the two ranges of mountains. My orderly had finished pouring water and the bed felt cool and lovely and I was telling him where to scratch on the soles of my feet against the itching when one of the doctors brought in Rinaldi. The officers all wore helmets; betterfitting helmets. there was a soldier sitting on a bench outside in the sun.

 Do you suffer much Have a drink. We all sang.How did you happen to do that Why didnt you join up with usI dont know. Gordini stood up and went outside with me. Anybody can take their property. I wished to God it was over though. the captain said looking at the priest and at me.I felt his breath come toward me. They were moderately clean.You think notNo. Ill go and see him and ask if he will recommend you.Could I see her just for a momentThey sent an orderly to see and she came back with him. as the road mounted along the ridge. had some coffee in the kitchen and went out to the garage.

 Rinaldi was lying on his bed.He ought to go to Capri. Thank you very much.No.Ive heard about it. Its beautiful language.I went along the narrow road down toward the river.He was a very nice boy. After supper I would go and see Catherine Barkley. Dont you read it. I knew it. said the lieutenant. Perhaps we should have a drink.The Italians didnt want women so near the front.

Here.I lifted it to arms length and the strands cleared. Im all right. I smiled at the priest and he smiled back across the candlelight. We are war brothers. Ive seen the holes. It looked as though it might be a mess. Jesus Christ.Oh.All right. the major said. I wore a real one and felt like a gunman until I practised firing it. Passing where the shells had landed I avoided the small broken places and smelled the high explosive and the smell of blasted clay and stone and freshly shattered flint. went on the captain.

No. There was what was left of a railway station and a smashed permanent bridge that could not be repaired and used because it was in plain sight. You are my great and good friend and financial protector. It was a hot day and the sky was very bright and blue and the road was white and dusty. It tasted of rusty metal. I said.A whatAn ignorant wop. I would go crazy.I thought it over. The door was open. He bandaged. said Miss Ferguson. if the war should end.We sat on the flat stone bench and I held Catherine Barkleys hand.

 I tried again and my legs moved a little.Ill see you in a little while. and then there were mountains far off beyond all these that you could hardly tell if you really saw.You love Italy Rinaldi asked Miss Ferguson in English. I had met two gunners from that lot. Passini said. Come with me if you want. mama Mia. Were not cloistered.Its not really the army.We drove fast when we were over the bridge and soon we saw the dust of the other cars ahead down the road. They have their own country. We dont go out.Youre the American in the Italian army she asked.

You dont need to say a lot of nonsense. Hes a better man than I am. I said.Must attack. I said. Bacchus or no Bacchus.That will be nice. He made a gesture and laughed loudly. English.I stopped to ask if you were better. Any frescoes were good when they started to peel and flake off.Goodnight.But now we will shut up. I had treated seeing Catherine very lightly.

 Firenze. Next week the war starts again. The men were hot and sweating.. havent youBut I lost the truss. Now they try to forget it.It could not be worse. The telescope that fitted it was. He offered me a glass of cognac. Uninformed. The mechanics were working on one out in the yard.Im so sorry. They cant do that to everybody. mama Mia.

 Today I see priest with girls. It was a hot day and the sky was very bright and blue and the road was white and dusty. The priest accepted it as a joke.They may crack.How do you do Miss Barkley said. I would eat quickly and go and see Catherine Barkley. Do you have to take me to that regimentYes. Some looked pretty bad. then stopped and kissed her. said the captain. cartridges. first fingers extended.There arent enough troops here for a real attack. isnt itWhat gameDont be dull.

 I would go crazy. You will please come and make me a good impression on her.Most of them dont. He looked like a king. So I went to the jail. Your friend is a doctor. We talk too much even for the Tenente. He doesnt want to see peasants. It came very fast and the sun went a dull yellow and then everything was gray and the sky was covered and the cloud came on down the mountain and suddenly we were in it and it was snow.We might sit there just for a little while. At the gate of the driveway that led up to the British villa. He started with the upright thumb and named in their order the thumb and four fingers. I havent any papers for you. There.

 Nothing to do. Its beautiful language. You see the point.You must go on leave at once. If youve got a fracture you dont want inflammation.Lets drop it anyway. What is defeat You go home.Youre a nice boy. No one to lend me money.Because the captain doctor knew I had this rupture. The two captains took off their coats. But youre very nice. My legs felt warm and wet and my shoes were wet and warm inside. I should drink cup for cup and glass for glass with Bassi.

I went out the door and suddenly I felt lonely and empty. I just couldnt stand the nurseseveningoff aspect of it.As you wish. You are a frozenfaced . I said. darling. We went along the rough new military road that followed the crest of the ridge and I looked to the north at the two ranges of mountains. Its good. The officers all came from such good families. She was crying. thats different. She came back from wherever she had been. said the driver in Italian looking at the hernia man. I just couldnt stand the nurseseveningoff aspect of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment