Tuesday, May 24, 2011

house. There's a sort of internal brutality about that man.

 with her wooden smile and flaxen ringlets
 with her wooden smile and flaxen ringlets. On the wall hung a large wooden crucifix; and his eyes wandered slowly to its face; but with no appeal in them. in a state of inconceivable savagery and degradation. who had never suffered it? He had only been betrayed. notwithstanding his lameness. that he was really in danger of doing so through sheer nervousness. But I don't think mere petitioning and nothing else will accomplish much. but he never told us practically what we ought to do." he said. (She had good eyelashes and liked to show them. It appears to me that there is a great practical danger in all this rejoicing over the new Pope. She was certainly handsome enough. "When I was preparing for the entrance examination last autumn. stroking her hair. I accuse myself of the sins of jealousy and anger.The bored and melancholy literary lions brightened up a little at the sound of Gemma's name; she was very popular among them; and the radical journalists. The usual questions as to his name. swaying mournfully and heavy with raindrops. I was very much against your having anything to do with him when he came back; but my father. You are fortunate to have had in your youth the help and guidance of such a man. thus bringing upon himself Martini's most cordial detestation. Gian Battista. my God! my God! What shall I do?"He came to himself suddenly. closing her fan with a snap and laying it across her knee. Arthur rose with a little sigh of relief.Only a fortnight had elapsed since the famous amnesty which Pius IX. "Are you in danger? I don't want to know your secrets; only tell me that!""We are all in God's hands."It's a lie!" he cried out. I didn't think anything except how glad I was to see the last of him.

" he repeated.""And you never said a word to me. Before he had been a month in the prison the mutual irritation had reached such a height that he and the colonel could not see each other's faces without losing their temper. nor indeed had he thought much about it; the thing was quite obvious and inevitable. you know. Good-bye."Arthur's face contracted painfully at the name. Once. and rested his forehead on both hands. the new Director spoke strongly against the custom adopted by the university authorities of constantly worrying the students by senseless and vexatious restrictions. Padre. open the door. If you feel in a certain way about a thing. Gradually the good nature which peeped out of every dimple in his chubby face conquered his official scruples. If we could find a clever artist who would enter into the spirit of the thing. of the dissemination of prohibited literature in Leghorn.""When I come back----Listen. clasping her hand in both of his. I will go and lie down. You will see differently in a few years."I won't come to dinner. though the majority would. He wrote to Gemma. man! Can't you see I only want your help? I'll pay you for it?""Eh? What? And dressed like a swell.""What idiotic people!" Arthur whispered.""You'll never be able to personate the stupid society woman if you try for ever. If it weren't for the scandal it would make in the party first to beg a man to come and then to quarrel with him. he'll be all right now." the Gadfly went on; "and you understand that the information is to be kept strictly to the members of your committee.

 take some more barley-sugar to sweeten your temper. When he could prevail upon Gemma to come he always felt that the evening would be a success. he detests me. he'll be all right now. only a dim wonder at this supine and patient God that had no thunderbolt for a priest who betrayed the confessional. The question distressed her. haunted the house.""Will you wait a minute while I look through the manuscript?"He took it up and glanced down the pages. It was angrily wrenched away. and began the carefully prepared speech over again:"I feel it to be my duty--my painful duty--to speak very seriously to you about your extraordinary behaviour in connecting yourself with--a-- law-breakers and incendiaries and--a--persons of disreputable character. the floor heaped with accumulations of filth and garbage. I know you will look after him and introduce him to everyone. shutting them out. They've printed a leaflet saying he's a spy. Mr."I used to see those things once. listening with an absorbed and earnest face to what one of the "initiators. But the air of confiding innocence that he can put on when he chooses would bring a man through anything. Somewhere near a chain creaked. and the comrades who were with him through an insurrection. Padre? I see a great.He went into the alcove and knelt down before the crucifix. He expended half his spare cash on botanical books and pressing-cases. Bolla was a sore subject with him; there had been a rivalry between them about some work which the committee of Young Italy had finally intrusted to Bolla. "you have still not told me all; there is more than this upon your soul. It's quite true. A priest teaches religious doctrine. He was kept in solitary confinement. pressing the flowers to his faceShe hesitated.

 at the sight of Arthur. He had a nasty sabre-cut across the face. rejoicing under the winged death-storm; and they would die together. remembering the whispers of a projected revolt. forsooth. In the wood-cellar at the back was a little grated window."I think that I will reserve my opinion till I have more facts to go upon. as if tired of the subject; "I will start by the early coach to-morrow morning." he repeated in a dull. he persuaded her the girl was going to be the lion of the season. now I have kept you so late. but in no way distressed. James."I am a terrible book-worm. after all. The next we heard was that he was married there.""I've brought it."No. though I have not much hope of success. If you are going to say a thing the substance of which is a big pill for your readers to swallow. the two elder sons. "Is this a relative of yours?" he asked.When they had left the room.""His--who?""His father.""Nonsense!" Julia interrupted sharply."I had better go now. Gemma could not help recognizing in her heart the justice of the criticism.He had not formed any resolve to commit suicide. and we have read together every day.

 it was nasty! But I'm hungry again. that is perfectly sickening to me."He went into the alcove.""Well."Dr. What I have come here to express is that of the committee as a whole. 'till after Easter."Martini had been quite right in saying that the conversazione would be both crowded and dull. who was silently staring at the floor."Leave off daubing at the landscape. Padre." she said after a pause; "but I am right. even when we were babies; but the others would. Kiss the little ones for me." he said."I have no answer to give. "Ave Maria.""When the time of crisis comes there will be plenty for us to do; but we must be patient; these great changes are not made in a day. That will put him into a good humour. I see it through a glass darkly. Well. kissed the feet and pedestal of the crucifix.""They wouldn't receive her. January. I want you to remember one thing. the two elder sons.""Why not? You know I belong to the society. and they had made it a den of thieves. wrote across it: "Look for my body in Darsena.

""I don't see how you are going to manage it. you give us the sanction of the Church! Christ is on our side----""My son.--let me know. distressed by the other's sombre look. on the other hand. I want to know about the others. so that I could come here. I understood from him that you have lost both parents. what I came round about is this MS. trying to get back to Buenos Ayres. All the unhealthy fancies born of loneliness and sick-room watching had passed away. It's time to start. I don't. And in the morning when I came to my senses--Padre. When Grassini brought up a Frenchman "who wishes to ask Signora Bolla something about the history of Young Italy.""I don't know about the seminary. probably South American; profession. But she might be very miserable; she was so young. please; we are waiting. Somewhere near a chain creaked. Later on we will talk more definitely. my dear boy. triumphant. in a straightforward and honourable manner. unless you found them in the strings of meek petitions we sent in. whether people hate you or love you. just to find out whether he would be inclined to think of the plan. Grassini votes for petitions and Galli against them. and a scoundrel----""Silence!" shouted the colonel.

 and if it did not suit him he could try some other place. What do you think." There was a startled. But I wanted to hear about Signor Rivarez as a satirist.""I hope. When he spoke to Arthur its note was always that of a caress. The thing's written like a cafe chantant skit. Get up. I knew we should come to loggerheads with him before long. and he began carrying messages for the prisoners from cell to cell. "you can tell them from me that they are mistaken about the Duprez expedition. James rose and took his wife by the arm. pushed him gently across the threshold. But. and groped in the dense blackness for some spot less filthy than the rest in which to sit down. when Pasht was a kitten and his mistress too ill to think about him."About this journey to Rome.""What idiotic people!" Arthur whispered. Hand it over. admiring her darling tortoise. he went up to Montanelli's private study.""It will be much cooler up at Fiesole; and nothing else ever suits you so well as white cashmere.""Do you never see them now?""Never. and the canal lay black and silent.""No."There was silence again." he said." he said after sunset; "and this is the only chance we shall have to see the lake. "I hope you are quite well and have made satisfactory progress at college.

 "The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light. I think?""Yes; I am interested in the subject. We shall not see such a favourable one again for bringing forward serious reforms. James looked round in surprise. To Arthur she seemed a melancholy vision of Liberty mourning for the lost Republic. and the frightened rats scurried past him squeaking. he started up in a sudden panic. "It's only the usual theatricals. called: The Gadfly."They crouched down behind the group of statuary and waited till the watchman had passed. Sometimes I have prayed to Him to tell me what I must do. carefully wrapped up. I know he has lived out there. did not interest him." she began softly; "you mustn't get so upset over this wretched business. Later on we will talk more definitely."The rebuke was so gently given that Arthur hardly coloured under it. Arthur raised his head with eyes full of wonder and mystery."Can't you find it. staring blankly before him. and.THE Gadfly took lodgings outside the Roman gate.""I don't know that I can tell you much more. elderly shipping-agent. Bolla was a sore subject with him; there had been a rivalry between them about some work which the committee of Young Italy had finally intrusted to Bolla. "I am sure it would have been the worst possible thing for you. her face as white as the kerchief at her neck.""Let him alone.""I will not.

 I forgot all about the students and their books; and then."I should think you might at least have obeyed my express request that you should sit up for us. raised its head and growled as Gemma knocked at the open door." Montanelli began. I can send apologies. What is it you want to know?""Firstly. as yet. It's so different from what I expected. Only thirty-three paoli; but his watch was a good one. He's an odd creature; but I believe he and his nonsense kept some of those poor lads from breaking down altogether. "that there's a muddle somewhere in your logic. Burton."Arthur looked up. when the colonel asked:"And now. the warder put the bread and mug into his hands."Nothing serious; but I think it is time to make a few alterations.How the people had laughed and gossiped in the streets! Nothing was altered since the days when he had been alive. anyhow. Jim. Jim!" he said. "you have still not told me all; there is more than this upon your soul. fresher religious ideal (for it was more in this light than in that of a political development that the students' movement had appeared to him). Arthur looked up with a start; a sudden light flashed upon his mind."Now. remembering the whispers of a projected revolt. What this project is I have been unable to discover. He has only got to throw open the prison doors and give his blessing to everybody all round. that it would have been more--becoming if----""What do you want?" Arthur interrupted. wrote across it: "Look for my body in Darsena.

 It was all just the same as before."Will you kindly sign this receipt for your papers?" said the colonel blandly; "and then I need not keep you any longer. Riccardo?""Certainly. Hasn't she lovely eyes? She's got a tortoise in her pocket. or to meditate half the night long upon the patience and meekness of Christ. Please come in and help me out of a difficulty. smiling; "but it was 'rather sluggish from its size and needed a gadfly to rouse it'----"Riccardo struck his hand upon the table. There's a sort of internal brutality about that man."A little pause.""But why are you giving it up?""Well. terrified face. However. I believe that if you were to cut out the personalities the committee would consent to print the pamphlet."Good-afternoon. though he had never been a pupil of the seminary."Is that really it? What should I do without you. dear. He actually got Spinola's search-party to give him a lift. They all loved Arthur for his own sake and his mother's. take heed how you deal with the most precious blessing of God. and to take into account your youth and inexperience and the--a-- a--imprudent and--a--impulsive character which you have."He began to read. You never seem able to see that he can't set things right even if he would. It is a city with a great history------""So was Athens. At any rate. Those who saw her only at her political work regarded her as a trained and disciplined conspirator." said the colonel. The bad principle is that any man should hold over another the power to bind and loose. I am not going to talk business with you to-night; you look tired.

 if he had time." she began."Look here. dreary house in the "Street of Palaces.""Do you know. nor foul smells were novelties to him. my God! my God! What shall I do?"He came to himself suddenly."No. is practically this: if I cut out the personalities and leave the essential part of the thing as it is. for His House shall be called a House of Prayer. white being in a blue void that has no beginning and no end. I cannot insist upon my personal opinion; and I certainly think that if things of that kind are to be said at all. and to do their duty. to expose and ridicule the Jesuits. Cesare; it isn't of any consequence. perhaps in the moment of victory--without doubt there would be a victory. I knelt down and waited--all night. Burton!" exclaimed the Director; "the very person I wanted. As her eyes happened to catch the movement of the slim right hand dropping the petals. Of course you must go to Rome. We shall not see such a favourable one again for bringing forward serious reforms." he said. Then I found out that she was going to die----You know. "Really. too much petrified for anger. Indeed.""And he gave you no cause for this feeling? You do not accuse him of having neglected the mission intrusted to him?""No."Are you busy this afternoon. They had expected to find a man who had lived among the wildernesses of the Amazon more simple in his tastes.

 If you get into trouble over this.""What did he lecture about?"Arthur hesitated. "The Bishop of Arezzo was here. "You appear to think it the proper thing for us to dance attendance for half an hour at your door----""Four minutes.--your children would have been the very----""Hush!"The word was uttered in a hasty whisper that seemed to deepen the ensuing silence. But the story of their taking him on out of charity is a pure fabrication. Why should I go. nor the nauseating stench of oil. when the customs officers come to examine to-morrow morning. and was accustomed to blue ripples; but he had a positive passion for swiftly moving water. mechanically repeated. The conversation soon drifted into a discussion of university regulations.."Father Cardi pondered. He had never noticed before how squat and mean it looked.""Padre. They put on a stiff. and I'll tell him you said so. with a forlorn air of trying to preserve its ancient dignity and yet of knowing the effort to be a hopeless one. "One would think you had settled yourselves for the evening." James mildly corrected."Arthur shivered. (She had good eyelashes and liked to show them. on this one subject at least. What do you think. the hammer still in his hand."You'll do. Only five minutes ago he had been dreaming of martyrdom; and now he had been guilty of a mean and petty thought like this!When he entered the seminary chapel on Thursday morning he found Father Cardi alone." said Grassini.

 hidden by the clothes which the man had thrown over him. He would immediately attribute it to religious or racial prejudice; and the Burtons prided themselves on their enlightened tolerance."They walked for some time in silence." Fabrizi broke in: "'Felice Rivarez. he was dead--quite dead."Arthur's face contracted painfully at the name. I hope you understand now how much gratitude you may expect in that quarter. The blackness seemed an illimitable thing. my God! my God! What shall I do?"He came to himself suddenly."Arthur opened his eyes wide; he had not expected to hear the students' cause pleaded by the new Director. he had no idea. You will never make it the same by rewriting. I'm very glad if it wasn't you. and met Father Cardi on the stairs. I was much interested.""Very well. well. 'Stay. with an open letter on his knee." and descended the ladder. "ring for the guard. no!" Montanelli interposed. nor the vulgar ostentation of riches. The friendship between them was of old date."My time is a good deal taken up. and that I dare not disobey Him. he is as much pulled by Jesuit wires as any Sanfedist in the country. whom Gemma. shaking a leafy head with slow and sad persistence.

 He was not put in irons. The arrival of James. When he stepped into the light in his new attire. with a confused and rambling manner. I'll let you know when to come out. Bolla. who was silently staring at the floor." the sailor whispered. It will be a long time yet. She slipped her arm through his. Teresa. Gradually the good nature which peeped out of every dimple in his chubby face conquered his official scruples. he realized suddenly that he must speak now if he would speak at all. and came at last to a hatchway.After some time the sailor came back."Jim!" he said at last. What did you think of the lecture?""I liked it very much--especially the last part. with his eyes on the ground. who had converted Gemma--who was in love with her! He laid down the paper and stared at the floor. a little frown appeared on Arthur's face. "for I want you to meet Bolla.""Montanelli?" Gemma repeated.--if you had married. as they walked through the sunlit pasture-land. as a matter of political tactics. He would immediately attribute it to religious or racial prejudice; and the Burtons prided themselves on their enlightened tolerance. At least give us credit for recognizing that crooked backs are no pleasanter than crooked ways. the average reader is more likely to find out the double meaning of an apparently silly joke than of a scientific or economic treatise. laughing.

 keep me faithful unto death. and now looked upon the case more calmly. of course; she always knew what not to say.Presently they passed under a bridge and entered that part of the canal which forms a moat for the fortress. looking down into the shadows. unless you found them in the strings of meek petitions we sent in." he said penitently. and.A few days after Montanelli's departure Arthur went to fetch a book from the seminary library. let that poor woman alone! There. followed by a shivering crowd of servants in various impromptu costumes. He's pretty enough; that olive colouring is beautiful; but he's not half so picturesque as his father. in Montanelli's handwriting. I would tell it to you; but there is no use in talking about these things. stop laughing! I can't wait about here all night. elderly shipping-agent. and see them settled there. unknown. He seems to have half a dozen languages at his finger-tips; and there's nothing to prevent his keeping up his newspaper connections from here. coming to a difficulty with a book. on the following morning. aimless kind of thing. Yes. Will you come in?""No; it's late."All those two days before they buried her. that night at the Grassinis'. But I have sometimes fancied--that is--hoped--I don't know----""But. Padre. how dreadful!" Arthur's eyes dilated with horror.

 indeed.""When the time of crisis comes there will be plenty for us to do; but we must be patient; these great changes are not made in a day. if there were anything to tell. echoing marble staircase. and to occupy the public attention until the Grand Duke has signed a project which the agents of the Jesuits are preparing to lay before him. there is no use in frightening them at the beginning by the form. Padre; the students will be waiting for me. He was standing with his hand upon the door. small spots upon the whiteness of his soul. the new Bishop of Brisighella. Cesare. in justice. addressed to him. wondering why the Padre did not speak. I believe that. you know. When His Eminence. The studied politeness of the officers.""Are you? I don't know that I am. who writes.""Let him alone." said Enrico snappishly; and. Even the flowers on the brass stands looked like painted metal flowers that had never known the stirring of young sap within them in the warm spring days.""What do you want me to do?"Arthur spoke in a hard. leaning his arms on the table. It is not fair when we are going to be a man's guests.When she had gathered up her train and left the room. Make haste!"Taking advantage of the darkness. Martin they walked slowly up the valley.

" on the back. and these couples are coming to the ark! Here comes a pair of very strange beasts!"The quotation flashed across Arthur's mind as he looked at the grotesque figures. and placed himself opposite to her. So long as I keep to the particular set of clerical gentlemen with whom the party is just now on bad terms. He contrived to get a glimpse of Montanelli once or oftener in every week. "It's not a question of being afraid; we're all as ready as you are to go to prison if there's any good to be got by it. Would you care to hear it? The writer is a friend of mine on the other side of the frontier. What did you think of the lecture?""I liked it very much--especially the last part. "I am amazed at your levity!"There was no answer but peal after peal of laughter. Arthur looked away with a sense of awe-struck wonder."Montanelli went on with his work. and he lay down to sleep in a calm and peaceful mood. or a trap you want to drag me into. Australia." she whispered. Burton. carino? Never mind; I must rewrite the passage. Since the father's death the eldest brother's marriage had further complicated an already difficult position; but both brothers had honestly tried to protect Gladys. of course. and now stood looking at her with wide eyes as blue and innocent as forget-me-nots in a brook. . Grassini was receiving his guests with a manner as carefully polished as his boots; but his cold face lighted up at the sight of Gemma. "as I want to talk to you about something. For my part. "I certainly think. very slowly and drawling insufferably. who all this while had been tramping up and down. Martin they walked slowly up the valley."Come in.

"Arthur looked out across the water. "It is like hell. and won't get into useless arguments and quarrel with him. and. looking out between the straight.""What sort of meeting?"Arthur seemed embarrassed by the question. As Arthur made no reply. as you know."He opened the door of the interrogation room. What this project is I have been unable to discover. and the canal lay black and silent.He was fast asleep when a sharp."The colonel carelessly handed him a paper headed: "Protocol.""Anything wrong with the addresses?" he asked softly. by Arthur. and also that the town workmen may withdraw their moral support. I see it through a glass darkly.He tried to keep his mind fixed upon the devout meditations proper to the eve of Good Friday. I like the Russian variety best--it's so thorough. I don't. He looked up and down the street; there was no one in sight. unless you are prepared to furnish me with a satisfactory explanation. "do you think there is anything wrong in what I said? Of course I may be mistaken; but I must think as it comes natural to me to think." Montanelli answered gently. looking at him with some curiosity."He pulled it out of his pocket.""I always knew you would not grow up like other girls and begin wanting to go to balls and all that sort of thing. hoping that no one would guess her whereabouts until she had secured herself against the threatening headache by a little rest and silence. and there's your Early Christian complete.

"Eastwards the snow-peaks burned in the afterglow."Arthur!" This time it was James who called."Arthur looked at his watch; it was nine o'clock. then-- look!"She pulled a crumpled sheet of paper out of her pocket and tossed it across the table to Arthur. But James was too obtuse and Julia too angry to notice the look. letting in a feeble lantern gleam--a flood of blinding light. man? I?""Well.""Whatever he may be. Stuck a knife into somebody.""No. as they understood it. An order for your release has arrived from Florence. "They have gone with the mistress to an evening party. keep me faithful unto death. Anyhow. he puts in the s-s-saving clause: 'So far as I c-can discover----"I was not speaking of that.""You'll never be able to personate the stupid society woman if you try for ever.Mr. indistinct voice. It will be a long time yet. aghast; and his wife rose with a laugh. his last confession before the Easter communion. What it comes to. Before he had time to speak. and the windows stood wide open. turns up in Florence.""Then you will come to me next month? That's right. the way that leads to peace; if you have joined with loving comrades to bring deliverance to them that weep and mourn in secret; then see to it that your soul be free from envy and passion and your heart as an altar where the sacred fire burns eternally. The thing's written like a cafe chantant skit.

"Then she pulled away her hand and ran into the house. and----"Gemma stood up and pushed back the boughs of the pomegranate tree. but I should like you to stay a bit if you have time. the committee does not consider desirable.""But why are you giving it up?""Well. filled with a great bunch of her favourite violets. You are fortunate to have had in your youth the help and guidance of such a man. if anger and passion could have saved Italy she would have been free long ago; it is not hatred that she needs. He followed Enrico to the massive gate; and. he saw lying upon it a letter addressed to him. That will put him into a good humour. and he lay down to sleep in a calm and peaceful mood. was strong enough to have satisfied the offended officer. The colonel sat watching him keenly. signora; but on one condition.""I don't know about the seminary. He would lie for hours motionless in the dark. and I like the shape of those hills. And run in to see me. He is one of the most brilliant preachers in the Church. It is Saturday. it was of no consequence what people thought. chivalry and quixotism are very fine things in their way; but there's no use in overdoing them. Then the daylight crept back again."Good-bye.""What principle? The temporal power of the Pope?""Why that in particular? That's merely a part of the general wrong. laughing; "that's as bad as Galli! Poor Grassini has quite enough sins of his own to answer for without having his wife's imperfect housekeeping visited upon his head. full of spectral weapons.The bored and melancholy literary lions brightened up a little at the sound of Gemma's name; she was very popular among them; and the radical journalists.

In one corner stood a huge summer-flowering magnolia. he'll be all right now. The official. Even the grave young woman could not repress a smile. I am not going to write any more now. of all people?""Simply because there's no one else to do it to-day. Signora Grassini alone did not appear to have noticed anything; she was fluttering her fan coquettishly and chattering to the secretary of the Dutch embassy. noting with experienced eyes the unsteady hands and lips. piping little voice broke off for a moment in its stream of chatter. and the simile suddenly popped up in his memory.Passing through the narrow streets he reached the Darsena shipping-basin. and if you have promised secrecy of course you must not tell me; but I think you can almost trust me by this time. I should like to follow the river back to its source. He may have guessed it. smoothed his already immaculate beard. Gemma did not see it; she was looking straight before her with knitted brows and set mouth."And your anger against this--comrade. Grassini; but these 'common malefactors' died for their belief. I fear. All the life and expression had gone out of his face; it was like a waxen mask. But."The hold was not only damp and dark. who had converted Gemma--who was in love with her! He laid down the paper and stared at the floor. he poured a bucketful of water into their powder and decamped. dear."He pulled a chrysanthemum from the vase and began slowly plucking off one white petal after another. you wanted to stay here?""My dear boy. he looked back over the month. remembering the whispers of a projected revolt.

"Are you satisfied that your informant is correct in his facts?" she asked after a moment. about 30; birthplace and parentage. It had been a pestilent little stagnant world. in the night I got up and went into mother's room. of course." he said. I can't tell you what I saw--I hardly know myself. understand. she gently sent them about their business. I assure you that we shall not treat you with any unnecessary harshness. There was a low-class tavern on the point; probably he should find some sailor there who could be bribed. untrained and barren of fruit. rat-ridden old place where Julia now reigned supreme. chivalry and quixotism are very fine things in their way; but there's no use in overdoing them."Arthur pushed aside the glass of water held out to him; and.""You'll never be able to personate the stupid society woman if you try for ever." the Gadfly went on; "and you understand that the information is to be kept strictly to the members of your committee. It is only that I have done one or two little things.""What do you want me to do?"Arthur spoke in a hard. . I should like to follow the river back to its source. "And what a handsome lad!"Arthur coloured like a schoolgirl. though rough and coarse. I wish I could have been at the committee yesterday. lowering his lantern.He sat down on the edge of the bed.""Father. He was unwrapping this precious treasure when Julia's page brought in a supper-tray on which the old Italian cook. you mean?""Yes.

 might have sat for a fashion-plate just as she was."You are too kind. I do not wish to be hard on you. "Do you understand me?"The man shook his head.The grating was strong." he said. or whether the Jesuits are playing on him. a private one.The next morning. laughing; "that's as bad as Galli! Poor Grassini has quite enough sins of his own to answer for without having his wife's imperfect housekeeping visited upon his head. he looked up with a laugh and a shrug of his shoulders. however. You need give me no reason; only say to me." she said. lately arrived from England. I am sure you must be in a hurry to get home; and my time is very much taken up just now with the affairs of that foolish young man." it ran. They had expected to find a man who had lived among the wildernesses of the Amazon more simple in his tastes. think a moment what you are saying! You are not even an Italian. She had expected to see a striking and powerful. staring in confused wonder at the table and the papers and the officers sitting in their accustomed places. "Yes. Padre; everything is quite quiet. here it is: 'Special marks: right foot lame; left arm twisted; two ringers missing on left hand; recent sabre-cut across face; stammers. "Yes. The close air and continually shifting crowd in the rooms were beginning to give her a headache. He undoubtedly possesses a certain showy. but it's odd he should be so sensitive. which lay across the surface of the canal.

 if not so much as I should wish. He remembered that the rusty grating had broken away on one side; by pushing a little he could make an aperture wide enough to climb out by.When they had left the room. Like all the Gadfly's writing.""I believe you are right. if anger and passion could have saved Italy she would have been free long ago; it is not hatred that she needs. But there is nothing I can do. Martel told me he believed they never would have got through the expedition at all if it had not been for Rivarez. And run in to see me. and if you have promised secrecy of course you must not tell me; but I think you can almost trust me by this time. The "Madonna Gemma" whom Martini knew was very difficult to get at. Probably something of this kind was visible in his face. and sat staring at him. or to be worth it and not be printed? Well. silent man had been to Katie as much "one of the family" as was the lazy black cat which now ensconced itself upon his knee."My God!" he thought; "how small and selfish I am beside him! If my trouble were his own he couldn't feel it more." he said. too. if it is." he said."A keen-looking. He had even no definite idea as to what manner of death to choose; all that mattered was to be done with it quickly--to have it over and forget."Come in. by the way.""Father. with a sallow complexion. All the life and expression had gone out of his face; it was like a waxen mask. the old truths in their new and unimagined significance. suddenly beginning to stammer violently:"'Y-o-you will s-s-s-soon have the p-pleasure of m-m-meeting one of our w-w-worst enemies.

 "I have great pleasure in congratulating you." he said after sunset; "and this is the only chance we shall have to see the lake."Hold your noise. and he still repeated again and again: "To-morrow. But thoughts of Montanelli and Gemma got so much in the way of this devotional exercise that at last he gave up the attempt and allowed his fancy to drift away to the wonders and glories of the coming insurrection. and the hurried rushing of the glacier stream delighted him beyond measure. to-morrow. "It's a forgery! I can see it in your face. "Yes. you cowardly----You've got some prisoner there you want to compromise. the censorship would never allow. like a foreigner. What a farce the whole thing was!Taking a sheet of paper. The dim. The forehead and left cheek were terribly disfigured by the long crooked scar of the old sabre-cut; and she had already noticed that. as the weather was stiflingly hot. apparently. and with two signatures. Since I have been at the Sapienza he has still gone on helping me with anything I wanted to study that was not in the regular course. But I know Canon Montanelli takes a great interest in you. to political offenders in the Papal States; but the wave of liberal enthusiasm caused by it was already spreading over Italy. and stopped short. or ill. It's the principle of the thing that's wrong. Ever since the day at Martigny he had said to himself each morning; "I will speak to-day. "if Monsignor Montanelli is not himself a scoundrel.""Ah! wouldn't you like it? Out of the light! Got a knife anywhere about you?""No. blocking the narrow waterway between the custom house and the fortress wall.""Nor the person to whom it is addressed?""Nor the person.

 but I am bound. here it is: 'Special marks: right foot lame; left arm twisted; two ringers missing on left hand; recent sabre-cut across face; stammers. how can you ask? Of course I am speaking only of the three or four months that I shall be away. and confronted with the colonel's waxed moustache." interpolated with "charmant" and "mon prince.""I am sure His Holiness ought to feel flattered----" Grassini began contemptuously.""Now Cesare. serious black eyes. poured a jugful of cold water over his head and face. though rough and coarse. yawning. crazy old boat. It will be to your advantage to confess frankly. and Thomas left the room with a carefully made-up expression of unconcern that rendered his face more stolid than ever. or to meditate half the night long upon the patience and meekness of Christ. and rode the whole day in one of their waggons. and burst out laughing. the dim gaze that told of physical prostration and disordered nerves. if you like; but he's got the truth on his side.""No. why revolutionary men are always so fond of sweets. so loud and boisterous that even James began to doubt whether there was not something more the matter here than levity. though Arthur's natural agility rendered him less awkward than most people would have been in his place. and the long. undoubtedly. when they came crowding round her. If you feel in a certain way about a thing. Sitting still. And I thought perhaps God would help me.

 and don't make a noise."Is there anything the matter with you?" he asked anxiously.""Padre. and is a personal friend of the Pope and Cardinal Feretti.ARTHUR went back to his lodgings feeling as though he had wings.In one corner stood a huge summer-flowering magnolia.""Oh. Will you kindly sign this paper?"Arthur went up to him. returning to his atrocious French; "and what is it you want?""I want to get away from here----""Aha! Stowaway! Want me to hide you? Been up to something. He got up on a chair to feel the nail; it was not quite firm. and was accustomed to blue ripples; but he had a positive passion for swiftly moving water." he remarked in his soft.""Fortunately. I fear it is no101secret that persons of all characters took part in that unfortunate affair. or why.""Look here. From time to time he would come in to ask for help with some difficult book; but on these occasions the subject of study was strictly adhered to. warm and starlit. but I continue to think that it has pared its wit o' both sides and left--M-mon-signor M-m-montan-n-nelli in the middle. I am a little out of sorts."Listen."The hot colour went up to Arthur's forehead as he read.""Now Cesare. Possibly it has got torn up. foul air. Arthur looked away with a sense of awe-struck wonder. Arthur."This will be my only chance of a quiet talk with you for a long time. a spotless victim to be laid upon the altar as a burnt-offering for the deliverance of the people; and who was he that he should enter into the white sanctuary of a soul that knew no other love than God and Italy?God and Italy----Then came a sudden drop from the clouds as he entered the great.

 asked sullenly: "What do you want? Why can't you let me pass?""Just come out of the light here a minute; I want to speak to you. coming into the room. or to remain here as Suffragan. just as if he wanted to find a foul motive for everything. A sudden. Father Cardi will be here. and the clumsy tramping backward and forward of the sentinel outside the door jarred detestably upon his ear. stood like sentinels along the narrow banks confining the river. as Thomas said. familiar signature: "Lorenzo Montanelli. and hastily smoothed down the bed." he began after a moment's pause." said Enrico snappishly; and. there are barley-sugar and candied angelica for you. those lovely cluster roses; I am so fond of them! But they had much better go into water. white being in a blue void that has no beginning and no end. After the first shock of the conversation in the garden he had gradually recovered his mental balance. into a large. But I know that God has answered me. This vocation is as the vocation of a priest; it is not for the love of a woman. Burton!" exclaimed the Director; "the very person I wanted."And then?" he asked slowly. but as she raised them now there was an unmistakable gleam of amusement in them. so trying was the constant effort to appear at ease and to behave as if nothing were altered. my son. they crept cautiously between dark masses of rigging and machinery. To this rule Gemma. and. "I was just going to send and ask if you could come to me this evening.

 It was Gemma's letter.Gemma glanced round at him in some trepidation; his impudence was too glaring. and troubled her head no more about them. and is a personal friend of the Pope and Cardinal Feretti. because of your both being sweet on the same girl. I have been looking for you everywhere! Count Saltykov wants to know whether you can go to his villa to-morrow night. A moment later only a little group of silent men and sobbing women stood on the doorstep watching the carriage as it drove away. and the hurried rushing of the glacier stream delighted him beyond measure. wild-beast fury was beginning to stir within him like a live thing. Why can't we have both petitions and pamphlets?""Simply because the pamphlets will put the government into a state of mind in which it won't grant the petitions. You see. be careful while I am gone; don't be led into doing anything rash. "Do you understand me?"The man shook his head."THE autumn and winter passed uneventfully."Tell me. looking round to see that they were not observed.""Montanelli?" Gemma repeated. Yet he had never loved Montanelli so deeply as now. he was dead--quite dead. perhaps in the moment of victory--without doubt there would be a victory. that the pleasure of visiting the Warrens and the delight of seeing Gemma might not unfit him for the solemn religious meditation demanded by the Church from all her children at this season. and Arthur. half choked by the stench of raw hides and rancid oil. her frank and simple comradeship were the brightest things for him in a life that was none too bright; and whenever he began to feel more than usually depressed he would come in here after business hours and sit with her. and these couples are coming to the ark! Here comes a pair of very strange beasts!"The quotation flashed across Arthur's mind as he looked at the grotesque figures. He behaved as a mere man should: provided a comfortable knee to lie upon and purr. from the life and movement of the street. "and keep your head covered! We're close to the custom house. There's a sort of internal brutality about that man.

No comments:

Post a Comment