Tuesday, May 10, 2011

They were hospitals beyond the river.

 said Passini and spat on the floor
 said Passini and spat on the floor. We read.I pressed her hand. These V.Nonsense. She was carrying a thin rattan stick like a toy riding-crop.No.When I got back to the villa it was five oclock and I went out where we washed the cars. not good by. I stop by.We drove fast when we were over the bridge and soon we saw the dust of the other cars ahead down the road. His legs were toward me and I saw in the dark and the light that they were both smashed above the knee. They wouldnt attack. Ive known him before.

 loosely packed cigarettes that spilled tobacco and needed to have the ends twisted before you smoked them. Tenente. You dont have to pretend you love me. the car looking disgraced and empty with the engine open and parts spread on the work bench. he said.Hello.She looked down at the grass. Rinaldi carried a holster stuffed with toilet paper.No. Some one was coming down the hallway.We walked on a way and were stopped under a tree. My God what would a man do with a woman like that except worship her What else is an Englishwoman good forYou are an ignorant foulmouthed dago. lieutenant! he shouted. Chew those.

 We will take over the two cars. Youve been away a long time. Im sorry. Hang onto my neck. and with the end of the summer. I said. with the eyes shut. He loves Franz Joseph.I would like to go with you and show you things. Let them keep their sisters in the house. The vineyards were thin and bare-branched too and all the country wet and brown and dead with the autumn. In a little while we would say insulting things. In the jolt of my head I heard somebody crying. There was fighting in the mountains and at night we could see the flashes from the artillery.

 The wind blew the leaves in the bower over the door of the dressing station and the night was getting cold.Ciaou! he said. I said. They lifted me onto the table. We go whorehouse before it shuts. I hope you feel better. where I sat with a friend and two glasses drinking a bottle of Asti. looking out at the snow falling slowly and heavily.I sat in the reception hail of the villa.There arent any four hundred twenties in the mountains. He lived in Udine and came out in this way nearly every day to see how things were going. Manera said. It takes a long time to be. I said in Italian.

 A. What if we take San Gabriele What if we take the Carso and Monfalcone and Trieste Where are we then Did you see all the far mountains to day Do you think we could take all them too Only if the Austrians stop fighting. I knew. Evviva lesercito.Why notNo. So were all on very special behavior. I said. He ought to be able to do something. Maybe she would.Hell say I did it on purpose. I knew that I was hit and leaned over and put my hand on my knee. Halfway through the wine I did not want any more. In the town there were more guns.And what did he say asked the priest.

 I knew I did not love Catherine Barkley nor had any idea of loving her. I undid the clasp of the gold chain and put it around my neck and clasped it. You see I didnt care about the other thing and he could have had it all. At the first battle you all run. I know all about it. Its good. Rinaldi shook his head. Grappa. Youre not an Italian. the line of the river that separated the two armies. Maybe she would pretend that I was her boy that was killed and we would go in the front door and the porter would take off his cap and I would stop at the concierges desk and ask for the key and she would stand by the elevator and then we would get in the elevator and it would go up very slowly clicking at all the floors and then our floor and the boy would open the door and stand there and she would step out and I would step out and we would walk down the hall and I would put the key in the door and open it and go in and then take down the telephone and ask them to send a bottle of capri bianca in a silver bucket full of ice and you would hear the ice against the pail coming down the condor and the boy would knock and I would say leave it outside the door please. below in the town. but instead we had Ii Generale Cadorna. Youve been away a long time.

They dropped me once more before we reached the post.It was nearly dark when we came down and turned onto the main road that ran beside the river. Why dont you go to the hospitalThey wont let me. was lined with them. felt the brake come off and the clutch go in. TenenteWhere is Gordini and GavuzziGordinis at the post getting bandaged. I love you so. Thats all I know.I translated this for Miss Ferguson.The adjutant. But the little Scotch one is very nice. I hope you feel better. He spoke again in pidgin Italian. I said.

 I would have liked to drive over the new road but it was not yet finished.I walked behind her out into the garden. The door was open.Had you been engaged longEight years. English. Tenente. I forget exactly what they were. spilled the thin gold chain together and put it all in my breast pocket. I said. He smiled.Ill get some. You will like it.You are ignorant.Im English.

 Youve been away a long time. Tell me about Gorizia. brushed my hair and we started. Then I will take him with my first load. Everything seemed in good condition. but the nights were cool and there was not the feeling of a storm coming.Not true asked the captain.They are brave and have good discipline. I forget exactly what they were.Whats the trouble the war.Rinaldi poured himself another glass of the cognac. Manera said. Theres not really any war of that sort down here. stirred by the breeze.

 Walking home Rinaldi said. which every one ate very quickly and seriously. havent youBut I lost the truss. It was very hot and when I woke my legs itched. you know. Lacerations of the scalp (he probed Does that hurt Christ.I washed. Doesnt anybody work nowSince you are gone we have nothing but frostbites. Besides. little puppy. This is close to the front. in the infantry. I think not. Not in the auto ambulance.

 The British had come with three ambulances and they had two men on each ambulance.There was great laughter from everybody. I talked with the major and learned that when it should start and our cars should be loaded we would drive them back along the screened road and up to the main road along the ridge where there would be a post and other cars to clear them. Another night when you feel stronger. Goodby. I thought she was probably a little crazy. with strange planes. said Rinaldi. Messina. You love EnglandNot too well.Bacchus. havent youYes. I said. the smooth functioning of the business of removing wounded and sick from the dressing stations.

 They lifted me onto the table. We walked to the door and I saw her go in and down the hall. Jesus Christ. Signor Tenente. They wouldnt attack if they did.Come.He was a very nice boy. Shes a nurse. she said. The mechanics were working on one out in the yard. Hes very good.The priest was young and blushed easily and wore a uniform like the rest of us but with a cross in dark red velvet above the left breast pocket of his gray tunic. It looked wide and well made with a good grade and the turns looked very impressive where you could see them through openings in the forest on the mountain side. In a moment the blanket in front of the dressing station opened and two stretcherbearers came out followed by the tall Englishman.

No.He was gone. I feigned acquaintance.In the legs. The offensive was going to start again I heard. In the dark I could not see where it came from the canvas overhead. I said I was sorry. I wondered who had done them and how much he got. Im sorry. Otherwise it will be the bronze.No.The major spoke to an orderly who went out of sight in the back and came back with a metal basin of cold cooked macaroni.And youll be backTo morrow. It was very hot and when I woke my legs itched.

Yes.Ten cars were lined up side by side under the long shed.Outside the post a great many of us lay on the ground in the dark. It is the captain. the thumb up and fingers outspread as when you make shadow pictures.Theyll shell the   out of us. The major said he had heard a report that I could drink. But back here youve got to have papers. Bacchus. Why dont you go to the hospitalThey wont let me. Multiple superficial wounds of the left and right thigh and left and right knee and right foot. He woke when he heard me in the room and sat up. I will give you the addresses of places in Naples. We went on and passed the regiment about a mile ahead.

 sucked and snapped in the ends. How does that feelSweat ran all over me. was my age. There was an English there. Rinaldi said. I do not believe in the Free Masons however.How is everythingSplendid. she said. Rinaldi put away the bottle and we went down the stairs. The forest had been green in the summer when we had come into the town but now there were the stumps and the broken trunks and the ground torn up.AnotherAll right. dry and white in the sun.If everybody would not attack the war would be over. They were hospitals beyond the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment