Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A shell had fallen and while we waited three others fell up the road.No.

 The pain hasnt started yet
 The pain hasnt started yet.Its not really the army. Passini said. said the priest.I thought you said he was a Frenchman. as the road mounted along the ridge. English goddess. I hope youll be comfy. brown mountains with a little green on their slopes. Tenente Can I help in any way He was the quietest one of the four. Driving in convoy is not unpleasant if you are the first car and I settled back in the seat and watched the country.Lets drop it anyway. I knew. Most of the helmets were too big and came down almost over the ears of the men who wore them. Jt was warm and like the spring and I walked down the alleyway of trees.

 They splashed more mud than the camions even and if one of the officers in the back was very small and sitting between two generals.Oh. We saw their white uniforms through the trees and walked toward them. I hope you feel better. I will go now and bring her here. the trees around the square and the long avenue of trees that led to the square; these with there being girls in the town.Im not. Yes. The officers all wore helmets; betterfitting helmets. she said. The river was low and there were stretches of sand and pebbles with a narrow channel of water and sometimes the water spread like a sheen over the pebbly bed.I say its rotten. I lowered it into the mouth.Bacchus. He came in very fast and bent down over the bed and kissed me.

 She waved and I kissed my hand and held it out. I said. the instruments shining in the light.Im quite well. Ive seen your Tenente. the tiny man with the long thin neck and the goat beard. They were bersaglieri. We drank rum and it was very friendly. fast and shallow.Go to hell. Now I must go back to sleep to be fresh and beautiful for Miss Barkley.Yes. My God what would a man do with a woman like that except worship her What else is an Englishwoman good forYou are an ignorant foulmouthed dago.Those that went out were not lined up when they took the tenth men. Were not cloistered.

There are three others. The men were hot and sweating. Most of the helmets were too big and came down almost over the ears of the men who wore them. spaced by the interval of their dust. I was cold and my leg hurt so that it made me sick. all this in a moment.Yes. Not very well.The Pope wants the Austrians to win the war.Bring good opera disks. and went in under the shed and looked at each of the cars. I kissed both her shut eyes. This took place at B?ziers.I washed. I love you so.

 There is nothing as bad as war. wont you She looked up at me.I believe in the Free Masons. His legs were toward me and I saw in the dark and the light that they were both smashed above the knee. The offensive was going to start again I heard. They would take me as soon as possible. darling. cheekfitted. Tell me exactly what happened. and come back like this. This was a joke. the major said over his shoulder.Shes on duty.I said I knew.But Scotland is England.

 wont you She looked up at me. Stop it. She was crying. baby. The doctors were working with their sleeves up to their shoulders and were red as butchers. Ill always come back.Were not far from the top. Dont you want us never to attackNo. The wine was bad but not dull. darling. Next week the war starts again. We all got up and left the table. Ahead there was a rounded turn off in the road to the right and looking down I could see the road dropping through the trees.Its not serious I hope. the major said to the two stretcher bearers.

 wont you She looked up at me.We wont quarrel. It was a one road show.You. They blew him all to bits. They are keeping them for the pleasure of dugout hiders in the rear. baby How do you feel I bring you this It was a bottle of cognac.Bersaglieri. The pain that the major had spoken about had started and all that was happening was without interest or relation. But I thought it would be bad for him.Do the men know that who attackI dont think so. As far as I could make out the last mile or so of the new road where it started to level out would be able to be shelled steadily by the Austrians. This captain baited him often. Its much cooler.They wont crack here.

 The road climbed steeply going up and back and forth through chestnut woods to level finally along a ridge.He likes it. Tell me all about it. After a while the English ambulance came up and they put me onto a stretcher and lifted the stretcher up to the ambulance level and shoved it in. We went on and passed the regiment about a mile ahead. You are really an Italian. you see.Goodnight. Why do you get yourself woundedYou can make fun of the priest. This chap of yours was very anxious for me to see you. He looked like a king. I never hurt anybody. didnt IShe was looking at me in the dark. and put on a dressing. Maybe it would finish this summer.

I believe in the Free Masons. But its very beautiful.Are you hit badly he asked. Stop it.I will get it for you. To your valorous wounds. They are too stupid.Its a charming place.The whole thing seemed to run better while I was away.You sons of bitches. There was one smashed bridge across the river. 206 arent youYes. You see Im not mad and Im not gone off. brown mountains with a little green on their slopes. Get out of here.

Ill take care of him for you. The lieutenant said I slipped the truss on purpose. I said. It tasted of rusty metal. said Passini.I cut the cheese into pieces and laid them on the macaroni. The Austrian trenches were above on the hillside only a few yards from the Italian lines. Fillipo Vincenza Bassi or Bassi Fillippo Vicenza had never touched a drop all evening and what was his name anyway He said was my name Frederico Enrico or Enrico Federico I said let the best man win.Lets drop it anyway. Signor Tenente.I knocked over his candle with the pillow and got into bed in the dark.No.Thats a relief. come.The priest was young and blushed easily and wore a uniform like the rest of us but with a cross in dark red velvet above the left breast pocket of his gray tunic.

 aint this a goddam warListen. God. I only write about what a beautiful place we live in and how brave the Italians are. then from all the guns behind us the bombardment started. lieutenant. green and dark to the snow line and then white and lovely in the sun. But marble busts all looked like a cemetery. Stop it. Then I will take him with my first load. Did you stay all nightYes. The King was good but dull.That night at the mess I sat next to the priest and he was disappointed and suddenly hurt that I had not gone to the Abruzzi. Maybe she would pretend that I was her boy that was killed and we would go in the front door and the porter would take off his cap and I would stop at the concierges desk and ask for the key and she would stand by the elevator and then we would get in the elevator and it would go up very slowly clicking at all the floors and then our floor and the boy would open the door and stand there and she would step out and I would step out and we would walk down the hall and I would put the key in the door and open it and go in and then take down the telephone and ask them to send a bottle of capri bianca in a silver bucket full of ice and you would hear the ice against the pail coming down the condor and the boy would knock and I would say leave it outside the door please. and the frescoes on the wall and waited for Miss Barkley. The window was open.

War is not won by victory. Wait till I get cleaned up.Im going on. Whats the matter with this machineIts no good. holding their chins close over the basin. He breathed very heavily. That made the bed damp and cool. You are a dear. said the lieutenant. Ive studied it for months now.All right. He went back inside. Naples. That major at the first post was a hogbutcher. Passini said.

I translated this for Miss Ferguson. At the post on the top they took the stretcher out and put another in and we went on. There is nothing worse than war. It would be the same when the offensive started. The division for which we worked were to attack at a place up the river and the major told me that I would see about the posts for during the attack.Did you ever read the Black Pig asked the lieutenant.Not Strega. The telescope that fitted it was. They told me you were on duty. But I thought it would be bad for him. They say if you can prove you did any heroic act you can get the silver. the drivers walking along beside the mules wearing red fezzes. I did hurt you. isnt itWhat gameDont be dull. But its a rotten game.

Priest not happy.Which side is it onHere. coming down. when you knew that that was all there was. you know. With a girl it is painful.You better wait until the shelling is over. Well. We are all splendid. The officers all wore helmets; betterfitting helmets.I dried my hands and took out my pocketbook from the inside of my tunic hanging on the wall. I kissed both her shut eyes. We have to just walk here. brushed my hair and we started. Maria.

 the car looking disgraced and empty with the engine open and parts spread on the work bench. I heard the machine guns and rifles firing across the river and all along the river. I helped the soldier with the rupture up on the seat with us. Profound wounds of right knee and foot. Ive seen you about. Manera said. Outside it was getting dark. be selected by the infantry but we were supposed to work it out. Naples. Maybe he was too goodlooking to be a. then took a bite of cheese. the steel helmet on the same peg.Yes. After I was wounded I never found him. Up the river the mountains had not been taken; none of the mountains beyond the river had been taken.

I walked behind her out into the garden. They were hospitals beyond the river. Its much cooler. I was still angry and as I held her suddenly she shivered. There was one fine cemetery thoughthe one at Pisa. He stopped the car and looked in through the hole behind his seat.There arent any four hundred twenties in the mountains. holding below the target and trying to master the jerk of the ridiculous short barrel until I could hit within a yard of where I aimed at twenty paces and then the ridiculousness of carrying a pistol at all came over me and I soon forgot it and carried it flopping against the small of my back with no feeling at all except a vague sort of shame when I met Englishspeaking people. baby. bulged forward under the capes so that the men.We wont quarrel. Then I will take him with my first load. Nothing.Rinaldi was talking with the other nurse. We were just beginning to get some of them.

 Tenente. I saw arched stone bridges over the river where tracks turned off from the road and we passed stone farmhouses with pear trees candelabraed against their south walls and low stone walls in the fields.Are you unwoundedWe are both wounded a little. You dont have to pretend you love me. She waved and I kissed my hand and held it out. I said. And come to morrow night. You are a frozenfaced . I tried again and my legs moved a little. I said.5 mm. I said. I helped the soldier with the rupture up on the seat with us. A shell had fallen and while we waited three others fell up the road.No.

No comments:

Post a Comment